Monday, September 27, 2010

THE WIDOW & ORPHAN

I could still remember very well how my mother used to mention to us how God made all things possible for us especially at that time when my father suddenly died and we were just very young, aged 4, 3 and 1. Job is her favorite bible character, because he is the one whom she would always mention to us and whom she admired most. It could be due to the fact that like Job she almost lost everything when my father died because she was very young then. She and my father were just starting out as a family and then all of a sudden he died. She would always say that what was most hurting is the fact that my father had been a very good husband to her and good father to us which made it even more difficult for her to lose him. In addition to that is the fact that she was left all alone to carry the burden of the responsibilities of our family. It was just before my father died that we had our home built and got a big loan in the bank. She could have married a rich man whom I heard was interested in her but she did not entertain any suitors and never remarried. She had to bring up all of us by herself. At that time when she was down to almost nothing, she never thought that she could have passed through all those difficulties if not for God's Divine Providence. Amen. Hallelujah!

Job 1:6-22
...Then Job began to tear his cloak and cut off his hair. He cast himself prostrate upon the ground, 21 and said, “Naked I came forth from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I go back again. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD!” 22 In all this Job did not sin, nor did he say anything
disrespectful of God.


We grew up always hearing our mother speak of Job's great faith and loyalty to God. She held on to every word of God in the bible and claimed every promise in it especially the one for the widow and orphan. Looking back at all those years our family had to pass through those trials and difficulties of growing up without a father by our side and our mother had to raise us all by herself there is no doubt that she did it because she inclined her ear to God and heard His word. Amen. Hallelujah!

Psalm 17:1bcd, 2-3, 6-7
R: Incline your ear to me and hear my word.
1 Hear, O LORD, a just suit; attend to my outcry; hearken to my prayer from lips without deceit. (R) 2 From you let my judgment come; your eyes behold what is right. 3 Though you test my heart, searching it in the night, though you try me with fire, you shall find no malice in me. (R) 6 I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; incline your ear to me; hear my word. 7 Show your wondrous mercies, O savior of those who flee from their foes to refuge at your right hand.


My mother was a teacher but when my father died she had to put up an interior decorating business to augment her income. For every business quotation and proposal that she had to prepare and work for she would always say that there were other greater and well known companies that she had to compete with. She was not the greatest of all in fact maybe the least but she always ended up getting the project. She had always attributed it to God and been thankful for everything despite of it all. She has indeed experienced the liberating power of God's word in her life. Amen. Hallelujah!

Luke 9:46-50
...“Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me. For the one who is least among all of you is the one who is the greatest.” ...

No comments:

Post a Comment