Friday, September 10, 2010

3 IN A ROW

Paul in his letter to the Corinthians from today's 1st reading reminds us to set our goals and priorities right. We may be living our lives without knowing what we are primarily created for. The purpose of man's existence is very clear in the Baltimore Catechism. There are 3 things we ought to do as we answer this question. Why did God make you? Number 1, God made me to know Him, 2 to love Him, and 3 to serve Him in this world, so we could be happy with Him for ever in heaven. "In him we live and move and have our being." (Acts 17:28) We are all aware of the wonderful feeling of being chosen and qualified and the other way around. Let us get these 3 things, straight in our minds so as to be happy and not find ourselves disqualified in our final day here on earth. Amen. Hallelujah!



1 Corinthians 9:16-19, 22b-27
...If I preach the gospel, this is no reason for me to boast...I have become all things to all, to save at least some. 23 All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it. 24 Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. 25 Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. 26 Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. 27 No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified.


Just when I thought that the inspiration from the mother bird that I have been sharing in my reflections these past 2 days is over comes this passage about the sparrow and swallow in today's psalm which makes it 3 in a row. How simply amazing, that it speaks of the exact scenario in the aviary. It's like some kind of confirmation for the 3 things we ought to do as from the Baltimore Catechism that I have shared today. Amen. Hallelujah!

Psalm 84:3, 4, 5-6, 12
R: How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord, mighty God!
...Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest in which she puts her young — your altars, O LORD of hosts, my king and my God! (R) 4 [5] Blessed they who dwell in your house! continually they praise you. 5 [6] Blessed the men whose strength you are! their hearts are set upon the pilgrimage. (R) 11 [12] For a sun and a shield is the LORD God; grace and glory he bestows; the LORD withholds no good thing from those who walk in sincerity.


Today's gospel being the 3rd reading for today also encourages us to do these 3 basic things from the Baltimore Catechism. It is in growing in the knowledge of God that we come to love and serve Him. Having read them all, the 1st, psalm and gospel readings for today, there's one thing very sure about it today, to respond and take action to it since it is indeed the purpose of our existence. It is in doing so that we become a living example of a true disciple of Jesus. Amen. Hallelujah!


Luke 6:39-42
39 Jesus told his disciples a parable: “Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit? 40 No disciple is superior to the teacher; but when fully trained, every disciple will be like his teacher...

No comments:

Post a Comment