Monday, September 13, 2010

BACKBONE & MITOCHONDRIA

What Paul in today's 1st reading is telling us is a problem in some prayer group communities. We have to be very careful of how we relate to our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Our actions should work for the good of the community rather than cause divisions and factions among believers. Speaking of this suddenly reminds me of these 2 people whom I received an e mail from yesterday and this morning. It was unexpected because I haven't seen and heard from both of them for quite a long time already. Though, it felt good to hear from them. Despite the fact that these communications were not long and elaborate and was just a brief exchange of information, I am sure that it has fostered unity and solidarity in our relationships no matter how little it may seem. A very timely correspondence which is very much in line with what the 1st reading today calls us to do. Amen. Hallelujah!

1 Corinthians 11:17-26, 33
17 Brothers and sisters: In giving this instruction, I do not praise the fact that your meetings are doing more harm than good. 18 First of all, I hear that when you meet as a church there are divisions among you, and to a degree I believe it; 19 there have to be factions among you...


Nothing should stand in the way to doing God's will. It may not be easy but if we have placed it in the center of our hearts then it will just come naturally as it becomes the powerhouse or mitochondria of our beings. Amen. Hallelujah!


Psalm 40:7-8a, 8b-9, 10, 17
R: Proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes again.
...to do your will, O my God, is my delight, and your law is within my heart!” (R) 9 [10] I announced your justice in the vast assembly; I did not restrain my lips, as you, O LORD, know.


As Catholics, we are all familiar of these words from today's gospel because it has become a very important part of the Liturgy of the Eucharist. What's interesting here is that not everybody, I guess is fully aware of the fact that these are the very words of a centurion. The following statements are information that I have found in the internet about them. It says, "The backbone of the Roman army were the centurions. The centurions were legionaries and they were clearly noticed because they wore a special helmet, and a more ornate harness of much better quality. They carried a short vinewood staff as a symbol of rank. They worked their way up the ranks as soldiers, and were promoted for their dedication and courage. They were loyal and courageous and were noticed by the general for their skill and courage in battle, and were made officers." -end- I guess, we can learn a lot from the good example of this centurion in today's gospel. What catches my attention this time is the fact that I have mentioned earlier about the powerhouse or mitochondria, it makes perfect sense that it matches in a way the description for the centurion which is the backbone. Come to think of it, these are important cell and body parts that are vital to our existence. Applying these to our faith, there is no doubt that it illustrates to us the need for these vital components for the life of our souls. Amen. Hallelujah!


Luke 7:1-10
...“Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof. 7 Therefore, I did not consider myself worthy to come to you; but say the word and let my servant be healed. 8 For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come here,’ and he comes; and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 9 When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him and, turning, said to the crowd following him, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.”...

No comments:

Post a Comment