Sunday, October 9, 2011

HE GOT US COVERED

I could never forget the time when I decided to buy my son a laptop as a birthday gift. Actually I wasn't really sure about buying one since at that time I was a bit short in my finances. His birthday will be in a few weeks so if I intended to give it as a birthday gift back then it will not reach him on time if I send via balikbayan box and I know for a fact that it is not wise to send brand new laptops and the like via door to door box. I have heard of rumors that it is not safe because it might end up getting lost. I finally decided against it and just hoped that if there will be somebody going home to the Philippines then that's the time I will decide to buy one. I knew at the back of my mind that it may not be possible to find someone going home to the Philippines within the specified time I have in mind which is just 1-2 weeks, in order to reach my son on time for his birthday. To find a trustworthy person and generous at that to be willing to carry a laptop in his/her baggage is another thing. Although there was a longing and aching in my heart to buy this gift for my son because he has been wishing for one, I knew I was unable to do so because of my limited options which lead to my indecision. I was just surprised that during the consecration in the Holy Mass, the Lord suddenly impressed in my heart that I should push through with my plan to buy that birthday gift. It gave me a new found confidence in pursuing the plan even though I have limited resources and options. To my surprise, I got a call from my friend Carmen in New Jersey who told me that she's going home to the Philippines on Aug. 24 which was exactly a week before his birthday on Aug. 31. This may be the sign that I've been waiting for I thought, because when I asked her if it was ok to include a laptop in her baggage she immediately agreed. All the while I thought that everything will end up there when I was finally able to buy a laptop and had it shipped to Carmen. It was just barely a week when I got news from Carmen that she is no longer going home and will just send the laptop via door to door and will no longer reach my son on time for his birthday. I was so disappointed that it still ended up via door to door and late for his birthday. I had so much anxiety and fear upon learning of it but I held on to God's goodness despite the seemingly endless wait for the delivery of the door to door which took almost 2 months when normally all it takes is just 1 month or less. For I know in my heart that my decision was based first and foremost on the message that I got from the Lord during the consecration in the Holy Mass I was not moved. I continued in my prayers and supplications to God that the laptop will reach my son in good shape because it really meant a lot to me, the way a mother longs to be with her sons but couldn't and the only consolation is the fact that somehow I can give them something to be happy about in exchange of my absence. Despite the long wait, God rescued me in my distress. My son finally got a hold of his birthday gift. Amen. Hallelujah!

Isaiah 25:6-10a
...The Lord GOD will wipe away the tears from all faces; ...“Behold our God, to whom we looked to save us! This is the LORD for whom we looked; let us rejoice and be glad that he has saved us!” ...

I praise and thank God for this experience that served as an inspiration which I was able to hold on to at times when things do not turn out right. Although I have been assured by God that everything is in control there is really a need to go through a so called "dark valley" of our lives in order for us to be fully aware that we have a God who looks after our welfare no matter how things turn out unexpectedly and not according to what we have in mind. We always have to believe that in the end, God is always at our side to give us the courage to carry on and find that God got us covered.

P S A L M Psalm 23: 1-3a, 3b-4, 5, 6 (6cd)
R: I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life
...4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage...

I want to praise and thank God once again for it was through these circumstances that I've learned of the strength of God that empowers me.

Philippians 4: 12-14, 19-20
12 Brothers and sisters: I know how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live with abundance. In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need. 13 I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me.

No matter what our circumstances are in life, let us not ignore or take for granted God's open invitation to all of us. Let us not be deceived into believing that there are still other things worth more than taking part in God's banquet and be fully prepared for it. In today's gospel, the feast is ready but those who were invited refused to come. God is constantly inviting us but we always have excuses and other things to do. Daily, God sends us an invitation to come to Him. Sometimes we miss the opportunity whenever we fail to recognize the many chances He has given us. And when we do respond to God and accepts His invitation we sometimes take it for granted and do not realize the need to make ourselves presentable before God. Not so much of our external appearance as suggested in today's gospel but more of our inner selves and what we have made of our hearts. We are distracted and take for granted what clearly should take first place and priority in our lives. Time will come when the time for the invitation will cease and if ever we decide to come it is already too late. Our souls need to be properly dressed for that final and main event. Let's not delay any longer before we find ourselves no longer welcome in God's presence. Let us be counted among the invited and chosen. We should all prepare, look forward and be ready for that day when we come face to face to God and become heirs of His kingdom. Let us not forfeit or lose our rightful place as a child of the God Most High. Amen. Hallelujah!

Matthew 22:1-14

1 Jesus again in reply spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. 3 He dispatched his servants to summon the invited guests to the feast, but they refused to come...‘The feast is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy to come. 9 Go out, therefore, into the main roads and invite to the feast whomever you find.’ 10 The servants went out into the streets and gathered all they found, bad and good alike, and the hall was filled with guests. 11 But when the king came in to meet the guests he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment. 12 He said to him, ‘My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?’ But he was reduced to silence. 13 Then the king said to his attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’ 14 Many are invited, but few are chosen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment