Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The water by the Sea of Galilee

When I was still in the Philippines discerning and weighing my decision to come here to the US, this gospel reading in Feb. 4, 2007 caught my attention, confirmed and gave me confidence in what I was planning to do and eventually did. It was specifically the bible passage in Luke 5:4-6 "Jesus said to Peter, "Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch." Simon said in reply, "Master we have worked hard all night and caught nothing but at your command I will lower the nets." When they had done this they caught a great number of fish their nets were tearing." Just like Peter who was skeptical at that time I was also feeling so unsure about my decisions then and this phrase really had a great impact on me back then coupled with the priest's homily that went with it. That was like more than 4 years ago now. Just like Peter I made a decision and in my own personal way is a response to God's call. The place where Jesus chose His Apostles and also where the apostles immediately left everything and followed Jesus was by the water in the Sea of Galilee (Luke 5:10-11). The lyrics of the song entitled, "Lord, you have come" has a background setting which is biblically based on the gospel stories of the call of Jesus to Peter and the apostles at the Sea of Galilee. I can still remember very well the first time I heard this song last January 18, 2009 during Holy Communion, at St. Christopher Church. It really made me cry for it again reminded me of that bible passage which I have earlier quoted and said to be very significant to me. It has become one of my favorite songs that we regularly sing in the Church. In fact I have been constantly sharing how this song has tremendously touched me when I first heard and knew about it here in the US. Though, I haven't exactly or fully known or understood everything yet during that time. All I knew was that it held a special and deep meaning that touched my heart in an unexplainable way owing to the occasions and incidences that were connected and related to it. But I believe God in His awesome and almighty wisdom, intelligence and knowledge reveals things in stages for the benefit of our limited capacities and understanding. The series of events and daily readings became an eye opener and has given me a better understanding of all the things that have happened since. Sometimes I come to a point when I also ask myself the same question that was asked by the 1st christians in Acts 2: 37 "Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and they asked Peter and the other apostles, “What are we to do, my brothers?” ..." I realized it is always good to look back, recall and never forget those times in our lives when Jesus was calling us for a certain task and decided to follow and obey. We can always be confident and full of hope that whatever is the outcome of our decision for as long as we know that we have consulted it to God in prayer and have acted with our best ability then we are always safe and secure. This message which I have associated with the water by the Sea of Galilee has been very persistent which I am again being reminded of in today's 1st reading. Amen. Hallelujah!

Exodus 2:1-15a
... called him Moses; for she said, “I drew him out of the water.”...


The mention of the watery depths in today's psalm reading should remind us of our own personal experiences. We are never alone. It is undeniable that God is good. We must realize that He is present in each and every person we meet. The earth is really full of the goodness of the Lord. God always send us the right people at the right time and the right situation. Although there are also some setbacks and we are still experiencing the ups and downs of our faith we just have to consider everything as a part of our daily walk in the shore of the Sea of Galilee with Christ at our side. Amen. Hallelujah!

P S A L M
Psalm 69:3. 14. 30-31. 33-34
R: Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.
2 [3] I am sunk in the abysmal swamp where there is no foothold; I have reached the watery depths; the flood overwhelms me. (R) 13 [14] But I pray to you, O LORD, for the time of your favor, O God! In your great kindness answer me with your constant help.
We can not deny it! God has done a lot of great and marvelous things for us. The problem is, the people of our generation has become insensitive, oblivious and simply stubborn to God's call. Let's do the right course of action before it's too late. Let us not disappoint Jesus by always striving to recall, remember and be driven to the right course of action whenever God reveals to us the mighty deeds He has done in our lives. If we are to really examine our life, we'll find that there have been many instances in our life when God has undeniably shown His mighty deeds and power. In fact we need not look long and far and just look at ourselves right here and now. Every single day that we are gifted with is already a great blessing in itself and not many people realize this all the time. The very moment that we were able to wake up this morning already meant that we were able to go through the night and still rise up to face a new day. We should always be alert, sober and not oblivious of these divine truths. We wouldn't want to hear these words of Jesus in today's gospel being addressed to us when our time comes. We would rather be full of joy rather than woe when we enter life in eternity. Everything in this world passes away, not a single one holds a permanent and lasting effect. We could be enjoying a delicious meal at this moment but it would be over soon. It could be a nice movie or whatever we enjoy doing. Nothing lasts forever and all is bound to end. It would be nice to know that if we commit a life dedicated to God by turning away from sin then we can look forward to a life of eternal happiness and joy. In fact, it's not just looking forward but right now. If we read with care the beatitudes found in Matthew 5:3-12 and Luke 6:20-23 we will notice that all the beatitudes that were enumerated are stated in the future tense except for the first which is "Blessed are you who are poor, for the kingdom of God is yours. or Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. This first beatitude is stated in the present tense and does not have the word "will" in it unlike all the others. This means that we can start being blessed right now rather than in woe. Amen. Hallelujah!

Matthew 11:20-24
20 Jesus began to reproach the towns where most of his mighty deeds had been done, since they had not repented. 21 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would long ago have repented in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I tell you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. 23 And as for you, Capernaum: ‘Will you be exalted to heaven? You will go down to the netherworld.’ For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. 24 But I tell you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”

For the benefit of those who might be interested of knowing the lyrics of the song "Lord, you have come" here it is. God bless!

LORD, YOU HAVE COME!

1. Lord you have come to the seashore
Neither searching for the rich nor the wise
Desiring only that I should follow

Refrain:
O Lord with your eyes set upon me
Gently smiling you have spoken my name
All I longed for I have found by the water
At your side I will seek other shores

2. Lord see my goods my possession
In my boat you find no power no wealth
Will you accept then my nets and labor

Repeat Refrain

3. Lord take my hands and direct them
Help me spend myself in seeking the lost
Returning love for the love you gave me

Repeat Refrain

4. Lord as I drift on the waters
Be the resting place of my restless heart
My life's companion my friend and refuge

No comments:

Post a Comment