Wednesday, April 20, 2011

SIN & BETRAYAL

Today’s readings tell us the prophecies of the passion as foretold in the Old Testament 500 years or more before the time of Jesus and give us an account of Judas’ betrayal. We are confronted with the fact that there are very troubling aspects that go with sin. We can see in the gospel that the apostles were distressed. In John’s gospel there’s an account of deep emotions that troubled Jesus whenever He encounters death and betrayal. We’ve also experienced this in our own lives especially when people intentionally deceive us. These could be very disturbing but the Good News is that Jesus’ passion is about to conquer evil and death. We should take note that in both accounts of Matthew and John’s gospel this betrayal when satan entered the mind of Judas happened at the Feast of the Passover. This is also the time when Jesus instituted the Holy Eucharist and taught the apostles of this Most Blessed Sacrament. The Eucharist is the heart of our faith and the very foundation of Jesus’ work. It is the goal of satan to attack our Eucharistic faith and take us away from it. Satan wanted to influence us and make us abandon this great sacrament that Jesus Himself instituted at the Last Supper. When we leave God we will succumb to another power. This is what satan is watching out for in order to maneuver his entrance into our hearts by using greed and lust. We must not lose sight of the cross because it is where the glory of God is revealed. It is made manifest in the love of the Son. Death is conquered by life eternal in the revelation of glory through obedience to the Father’s will. Satan is conquered. In John’s gospel we can see the betrayal in contrast with Peter’s denial. It is an interesting contrast because Judas betrays him, deeply regrets and tries to repent but what’s lacking was the return to our Lord. Peter turns back to Jesus while Judas despairs. He did not accept God’s mercy. We’re all sinners but do we repent and turn back or do we keep going along the path of sin. Often times in our confessions we have repeated sins but the beauty of confession is that we keep on turning back to the Lord. We keep the hope alive through the sacrament that gives us the grace to keep coming back to our Lord. Though, we never want to commit sin, It’s a terrible thing to sin because it is a betrayal of Jesus. Let us pray that we continue to have faith in Him and accept His mercy. Amen. Hallelujah!

Isaiah 50:4-9
...I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; my face I did not shield from buffets and spitting.


Psalms 69:8-10, 21-22, 31, 33-34
R: Lord, in your great love, answer me.
7 [8] For your sake I bear insult, and shame covers my face. 8 [9] I have become an outcast to my brothers, a stranger to my mother’s sons, 9 [10] because zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me. (R) 20 [21] Insult has broken my heart, and I am weak, I looked for sympathy, but there was none; for consoler, not one could I find. 21 [22] Rather they put gall in my food, and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.


Matthew 26:14-25
14 One of the Twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests 15 and said, “What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?” They paid him thirty pieces of silver, 16 and from that time on he looked for an opportunity to hand him over. 17 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the disciples approached Jesus and said, “Where do you want us to prepare for you to eat the Passover?” 18 He said, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The teacher says, “My appointed time draws near; in your house I shall celebrate the Passover with my disciples.” ’ ” 19 The disciples then did as Jesus had ordered, and prepared the Passover. 20 When it was evening, he reclined at table with the Twelve. 21 And while they were eating, he said, “Amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” 22 Deeply distressed at this, they began to say to him one after another, “Surely it is not I, Lord?” 23 He said in reply, “He who has dipped his hand into the dish with me is the one who will betray me. 24 The Son of Man indeed goes, as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed. It would be better for that man if he had never been born.” 25 Then Judas, his betrayer, said in reply, “Surely it is not I, Rabbi?” He answered, “You have said so.”

No comments:

Post a Comment