Monday, May 18, 2020

THE ADVOCATE & COMFORTER


Unlike any other super hero that we've seen on TV, we don't have to shout Darna or Captain Barbell. We have tremendous power in our hands, great enough to cause an earthquake, open prison doors and unlock chains binding us. The 1st reading today is proof that there is power in praying and singing hymns to God. Although we do not see these things happen everyday we should always nurture this kind of attitude and disposition that every time we pray and sing to God something amazing and awe inspiring happens. The Holy Spirit dwells in us, manifests in several very unique but personal ways and never leaves us alone. No matter how trapped and imprisoned we may be feeling at the moment just like Paul and Silas, God is able to set us free. It reminds me of the broadcast of The Journey Home in the EWTN Channel about Blessed Dominic Barberi. His story was very much like what happened to Paul and Silas. He was already drafted in the military under the rule of Napoleon Bonaparte to be sent to Russia but his number was not called. He was spared of a certain death. It was narrated how things happened one after the other which eventually led to his becoming a Passionist priest. He was also instrumental to the conversion of John Henry Cardinal Newman. Today's 1st reading speaks of an almost similar story when the jailer and his household were baptized and converted to God. If we are to take heed of God's power moving across the world and ultimately in our lives, we'll find that we are truly blessed for the countless times God has demonstrated His awesome love for all of us. No one can ever deny this truth. Amen. Hallelujah!


Acts 16:22-34
...Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God as the prisoners listened, there was suddenly such a severe earthquake that the foundations of the jail shook; all the doors flew open, and the chains of all were pulled loose.When the jailer woke up and saw the prison doors wide open, he drew [his] sword and was about to kill himself, thinking that the prisoners had escaped. But Paul shouted out in a loud voice, “Do no harm to yourself; we are all here.” He asked for a light and rushed in and, trembling with fear, he fell down before Paul and Silas. Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your household will be saved.” So they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to everyone in his house. He took them in at that hour of the night and bathed their wounds; then he and all his family were baptized at once. He brought them up into his house and provided a meal and with his household rejoiced at having come to faith in God.

I could never forget the experience when we were in that very hazardous place in Crestline without any idea where we were going. I am thankful for the lesson learned from it. All we have to do is completely trust Him that in His goodness and mercy will show us His saving power and grace. If there's one thing for sure, that is the truth that God knows everything we are going through and He will not withhold the help that we need from Him in His most appropriate and best time, place and situation. All we need to do is just give our trust completely to Him who will complete what he has done for us and would not forsake the work of His hands. Just constantly pray and sing out our praises to God to unleash the power within us. We can always count on God at all times in all circumstances. Let us not stall any longer and finally respond to His call without any reservation. We should entrust all our cares and concerns to the Lord and be assured that He is true to His promise and will fulfill it. Our God is faithful and He who began a good work will be faithful to complete it in all of us. God never fails in sending us people, circumstances and situations that always build up strength in us. I have always believed in angels even before I got the miracle petal with a cherubim’s image. I can still remember and will never forget how my mother used to narrate to us how I was miraculously saved by my angel several times. First was when I was still less than 2 months old and fell from a height of 2-3 ft countertop when the nanny after giving me a bath left me for only a second to get something and upon returning found me already unconscious and lying on the hard, ceramic tiled floor. I was rushed to the doctor but he told them that if I fail to regain consciousness within an hour then he said I could die. To everybody's surprise I started to cry even before the time is up. Another one was when I was barely 2 yrs old when I almost got hit by a speeding jeepney. My parent's house is right beside my grandparent's house which is right in front of the school where my mother used to teach. She said she was standing in the center of the stage of the school that was why she had a good view of the things around her even the terrace of my grandparent's house so she got the shock of her life when she saw me there alone running very fast heading toward the open gate while a speeding jeepney was coming and looked as if I would really get hit and it would be too late even if somebody was there to stop me. She was already screaming from afar together with the other teachers who saw it and was trying to call the attention of the driver but to no avail for he didn't even slow down because their screams were of no match to the loud engine of the jeep.  It was just a miracle that the moment I stepped on the side of the road she said that I suddenly stopped and stood very still as if someone was holding me back. She said it was my guardian angel that held me and prevented me from getting hit by the jeep.  I don't remember personally any of those experiences it was only through my mother's stories that I came to know about them. But when I was older like in 4th grade I could already remember how I was spared again from being hurt seriously when the fluorescent lamp right on top of my head fell on my desk a split second after I stood up and left my chair.  My classmates were really shocked and were hovering around me and told me that it was really close. There is no doubt, angels are obviously at work. Today God assures us that we can always stand secure for as long as we remain united to Him through the aid of His Holy angels and saints. There is no doubt that we should sing the praises of the Lord in the sight of the angels. Amen. Hallelujah!

Psalm 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 7c-8
R: Your right hand saves me, O Lord.
1 I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart, for you have heard the words of my mouth; in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;...for you have made great above all things your name and your promise... The LORD will complete what he has done for me; your kindness, O LORD, endures forever; forsake not the work of your hands...

We used to go for a walk at Schabarum Park before whenever we had the chance. In one of our leisure walk at the park, Sis Rose told us that when her husband died and left her alone that was when she really missed him and felt an intense longing that she never felt when they were still together. Although it was difficult that time and was full of uncertainties even before his husband died she was already praying to God for help and through prayers she was able to overcome it. In today's gospel we are being told by Jesus that it is better for Him to go so that the Holy Spirit will come. In our everyday life we encounter similar experiences when we have to be separated from our loved one. It has surely caused us so much grief and pain. Even when we’ve prayed and tried to work things out so that we could resolve our situation nothing seems to be happening. There is this feeling of entrapment and inability to do anything about a particular situation. The only thing that gives us hope is the assurance of God that whatever it is that we are going through we must consider as preparation. The same thing that happened with the family of the jailer in today's 1st reading we should continue to hope that we will all soon be rejoicing altogether. We should believe and know that God is true to His promise. When Jesus left this world more than 2000 years ago, He sent an Advocate, God the Holy Spirit to always be with us. From then on God has never left us a single moment for He dwells in us. During these times of sorrow the Holy Spirit is always with us to light, guard, rule and guide us every step of the way, and will never leave us alone. The truth is, things happen not just for the better but for the best. The Lord has been telling us for several days already in the gospel of His love and today He assures us of the Holy Spirit being our Advocate to defend and guard us. We should rejoice in this truth. At the same time we should understand that the Holy Spirit resides inside the courtroom of our consciences. He is there to illumine our actions, to show us where we sin so that by faith in Him we can be redeemed and be saved. It is the work of God that we believe in Him, convict us of our wrong doings and turn away from our sins. We must believe and not follow the cynicism of the agnostics just like what Pilate did and the betrayal of Judas. These are the things that bring us condemnation. The Roman Empire and the Nazis collapsed because of its own corruption and evil schemes of self destruction. These are evidences of their being condemned. We must be open to the way the Holy Spirit is acting on us and working inside our own conscience. But we have to also act on our own. We have to believe and allow ourselves to live in Christ and His redemption.  Reject the glamour of evil no matter how attractive it may seem as the world presents it. We have to accept the faith in Jesus. This is the choice that has already been won and what our Lord Jesus is asking us to make. Amen. Hallelujah!


John 16:5-11


5 Jesus said to his disciples: “Now I am going to the one who sent me, and not one of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts. 7 But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go. For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes he will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation: 9 sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see me; 11 condemnation, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.”

No comments:

Post a Comment