Sunday, September 18, 2011

THE LAST WILL BE FIRST

I had been wondering where in the bible I can find today's 1st reading and it took some time before I finally found it. I am not very good at remembering the exact bible chapter and verse of some memory verses but I can recall what is being said in it. I can still remember from a long time ago already when a speaker gave an inspiring talk and quoted this bible verse. From then on I’ve never forgotten it and always held on to it. This bible passage has always given me confidence deep in my heart that we have an awesome God whom we can never underestimate. He can make all things bright and beautiful for us. Amen. Hallelujah!

Isaiah 55:6-9
...8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD. 9 As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts.

We are blessed! What more can we ask for? All we have to do is always be reminded of this truth and believe. Amen. Hallelujah!

Psalm 145:2-3, 8-9, 17-18
R: (18a) The Lord is near to all who call upon him.
8 The LORD is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and of great kindness. 9 The LORD is good to all and compassionate toward all his works.

We have just finished our Light of Jesus Retreat. We are all grateful for the hard work and dedication of the people who made this possible. It is never easy to organize for such activities but just like Paul in today’s 2nd reading, these people have found the true joy in serving the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen. Hallelujah!

Philippians 1:20c-24, 27a
...25 And this I know with confidence, that I shall remain and continue in the service of all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that your boasting in Christ Jesus may abound on account of me when I come to you again...

In today's gospel, envy of other people's fortune is evident because of the complaints of the workers in the vineyard who worked the whole day but was paid the same amount as those who worked for only a short time. The moral lesson of the story in my opinion is that we should stop comparing ourselves with others rather we should focus on how we can improve our work for God. Be confident that we have a just God who is always right in His judgment and decision. At the end of the day whatever work we have offered to God will always be rewarded accordingly because God will never cheat us rather He will always give more than we deserve. We can never really tell what's going to be until the last hour. All of us are saved by Jesus when He died on the Cross in Calvary more than 2000 years ago but continuously in the process of being saved every day. We've got to persevere in our faith and not be discouraged or dissuaded, distracted and tempted by the other side. We have all been forgiven through Jesus Christ but it is our response to this grace that matters most. It differs from person to person according to the capacity we have all developed. We can not be indifferent, neutral, take for granted or neglect this tremendous grace that is offered to us. We've got to take an active part in receiving this grace in order for us to gain the ultimate and total experience of God's gift to us. Amen. Hallelujah!

Matthew 20:1-16
...Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

No comments:

Post a Comment