Tuesday, July 28, 2020

ST. MARTHA, PRAY FOR US

 We've seen several box office hit movies and most of them are in the likes of Superman, Spiderman , Fantastic Four, The Avengers, The Dark Knight etc. People are fascinated with this kind of stories because there is an element of awe, wonder and amazement of how these super heroes can rescue people in distress and danger. But wait, isn't it more exciting if we watch ourselves being rescued by a true and existent hero in our lives. Today’s 1st reading makes it a reality for us since we have indeed a God who is able to do so. Amen. Hallelujah!


Jeremiah 15: 10, 16-21
...Though they fight against you, they shall not prevail, for I am with you, to deliver and rescue you, says the LORD. 21 I will free you from the hand of the wicked, and rescue you from the grasp of the violent...

Who is our true hero and savior? No other than the Lord our God. He is real and Emmanuel “God with us”. Amen. Hallelujah!

Psalm 59: 2-3 , 4, 10-11 , 17, 18R: God is my refuge on the day of distress.
1 [2] Rescue me from my enemies, O my God; from my adversaries defend me. 2 [3] Rescue me from evildoers; from bloodthirsty men save me.


I could never forget the time when Bro Ojie Engalla was hospitalized for a serious condition and had to undergo brain surgery to clip off ruptured blood vessels. Everybody in the St. Martha Community stormed heaven with prayers for the success of his operation and healing. When we visited him in the hospital that was when I realized that God really worked a miracle on him. He said he is very thankful for his St. Martha Community and was never mistaken when he chose it to be his parish. And I must say that I can say the same thing. Today is the feast day of St. Martha and I must admit that she is one of the saints who is close to my heart. She is a hardworking prayer intercessor who never stops in her labor for the service of God. Just like St. Martha we should all be firm believers that God answers all our prayers no matter how impossible it may be. Although the qualities of St. Martha depicted in a certain bible passage where she complained to the Lord that she is the one doing all the work does not speak very well of her we could still learn something from it. We should look at the example of the industrious and service oriented attitude of St. Martha especially when our lazy and careless sides get the better of us. It happens to the best of us when we sometimes run away from work and hesitate to be involved. As we make ourselves available for God's work we too like St. Martha in today's gospel can eventually transcend from that worried and anxious woman to a person of faith. When we are totally surrendered to the will of God nothing or no one should drive us to fear not even death itself. This is because we are confident of the saving power of God. He will never lead us to where His love can not reach us. We can always be assured of the loving arms of our Savior. Amen. Hallelujah!






John 11:19-27

Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. [But] even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you.” Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise.” Martha said to him, “I know he will rise, in the resurrection on the last day.” Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”...

No comments:

Post a Comment