Sunday, November 4, 2018

KEEP OUR FOCUS

Although some people may find it hard to believe but we must realize that our devotion to God must not depend on our situations. We should be able to maintain peace and serenity despite of the things we are experiencing right now. No amount of wealth, fame and power can give joy in our hearts if we are not confident in knowing that every single step of the way, God is guiding and directing us. Most of all, though it may look foolish to some, we should be able to derive lessons from everything that we've been through and come up with this truth that there is nothing else we can do best but to totally surrender our will to Him by being obedient to God at all cost. For we are dear children of God and whatever is happening right now will come to pass and become beautiful in His time. Sometimes we have something else in mind to do but it does not materialize. It looks like the plans we have in mind do not happen as we expected. There are times when the same thing happens with our Christian life. Even if we already know what needs to be done as a follower of Christ we still fall short. We have to be reminded always and firmly grasp in our minds the truth about Jesus so that we do not become negligent, easily persuaded to change our loyalties and be misled but rather keep our focus.As in today's 1st reading, "He did not count equality with God. He took the form of a slave and became obedient even death on a cross." It is not a curse but a sign of obedience. When God became man He gave himself without expecting anything in return and so we were given equality with God in a way. The supremacy of God consists of life giving and the greatest attribute of God. God thoroughly converted man through Jesus. Our conversion should not be from one religion to another but conversion from one way of living religion according to the flesh, to the spirit. Amen. Hallelujah!


Philippians 2:1-11
... Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory; rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves, each looking out not for his own interests, but [also] everyone for those of others. Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus, Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped. Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross.

We should always maintain a humble spirit and heart before God. Only God knows what's going on inside our minds and hearts. He will always lift up those who trust in Him. Let us offer to God all our brokenness and downtrodden selves that He will be the one to lift us out of it. I am reminded of the time when my son, Jude discussed to me a concern that somehow disturbed him. I was quick to assure him and tried to boost his confidence. Although at the back of my mind there were also some clouds of doubt that tried to get to me which was immediately dispelled after I attended the Sunday mass. I was so excited when I shared to him what I experienced at mass. What was impressed in my heart came from the songs sang in the celebration of the mass. The 1st song is entitled "Only in God" and the ff. lyrics: “I shall not be afraid at all, my stronghold, my savior, i shall not be moved...” from the 2nd song "The Lord is my light" w/ the ff. lyrics "If God is my help whom should I fear? The Lord is my refuge, my stronghold and my strength: why should I be afraid?" and the 3rd song which is the final song "Sing to the mountains" w/ the ff. lyrics "I will give thanks to you my Lord you have answered my plea... you are my strength and my song" These are all assurances that I felt came from God who answers all our prayers. No matter how doubtful and unsure we are of what we are confronted with in our lives we should not be afraid for the Lord assures us of His help. God really wanted to communicate His will to us be it in big or small things. Making it known to us amidst the confusing and mixed signals we are getting everyday from this world since there is always a constant, consistent, reliable signal that we can always depend upon and rely on, the Word of God. If we keep our focus on the Lord then we'll definitely find peace that the world can not give. Amen. Hallelujah!

Psalms 131:1, 2, 3
R: In you, Lord, I have found my peace.
1 O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor are my eyes haughty; I busy not myself with great things, nor with things too sublime for me. (R) 2 Nay rather, I have stilled and quieted my soul like a weaned child. Like a weaned child on its mother’s lap, so is my soul within me. (R) 3 O Israel, hope in the LORD, both now and forever.


We can never out give God. Today’s gospel teaches us to be generous in the manner that God wants us to be. There are times when we are guilty of being generous and kind to people for the wrong reasons. We must examine our motives and intentions and make sure that God is our first and foremost reason for our actions. We should really live the lesson being taught to us by Jesus in the gospel and not expect anything in return for the good we do for the Lord Himself will surely reward us at the right moment. Amen. Hallelujah!

Luke 14:12-14
12 On a sabbath Jesus went to dine at the home of one of the leading Pharisees. He said to the host who invited him, “When you hold a lunch or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or your wealthy neighbors, in case they may invite you back and you have repayment. 13 Rather, when you hold a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind; 14 blessed indeed will you be because of their inability to repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”



No comments:

Post a Comment