Saturday, February 24, 2018

AT THE FOOT OF THE CROSS

The knowledge of God is encompassing and strives to reach the height and depth of God's unfathomable love. Abraham is the 1st recipient of God's revelation of Himself to mankind. He is considered as one of the Patriarchs to whom God chose to establish his covenant. Salvation history tells us of God's faithful love and continues to restore and bring back the broken relationship of God and man. It was through Abraham's total surrender to God's will to offer his son Isaac  that he foreshadowed the sacrifice of Jesus  as the Lamb of God. It is true that God started to reveal Himself to us through Abraham and the ultimate revelation was in Jesus. God spared Isaac, Abraham’s son but did not spare His only begotten for our sake. The victimhood of Jesus to conquer evil not by slaying evil but by allowing Himself to be killed is the height of God's love. It should always be a treasure embedded in our hearts. Let us make this clear, it is God who first took the initiative and not the other way around. He was the one who first loved us and we are just responding to that love. Sometimes we get confused when we think that blessings and graces only come our way because we obeyed God. We sometimes fall into the trap of believing that it's because we are righteous and obedient that God blesses us. We may have encountered people who believe that in order for God to answer our prayers we should do this and that. It is like having a list of dos and don’ts and treats God like a vending machine that if we place the right amount of money or pressed on the right button we will get exactly what we wanted. There is nothing wrong with it if we have a programmed way of serving and praying to God but it sometimes keeps us off track when we start to focus more on our efforts that can produce results rather than on this most important truth, it is not God who changes but us who needs to change. God is good all the time and there is nothing wrong with Him for He is All Perfect, Almighty and All Powerful. He is perfectly able to do everything in His power all He has to do is will it. His wisdom and understanding surpasses all knowledge. It would be best if we try to look at the whole scenario of God's great goodness and love from the very beginning. Abraham knew it from the start that's why he was willing to give up his son, Isaac. He is very aware of the truth that only He can give and take, it is not for us to question His will. We maintain our belief that God knows best and all we have to do is obey. Amen. Hallelujah!



Book of Genesis 22,1-2.9.10-13.15-18.
..."I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you acted as you did in not withholding from me your beloved son, I will bless you abundantly and make your descendants as countless as the stars of the sky and the sands of the seashore; your descendants shall take possession of the gates of their enemies,
and in your descendants all the nations of the earth shall find blessing--all this because you obeyed my command.'


When we hear of amazing stories we can not contain our excitement. May we be always mindful of it at all times and filled with this kind of emotion in all circumstances. We all have sinned and bore the guilt in us. We have all been destined to die but Jesus took upon Himself all our sins and paid it in full. He made an offering of Himself for our sake. The least we could do is to give honor to this Holy Sacrifice. Let us cloth ourselves with the blood which Jesus shed for us in Mount Calvary, let us not forget what Jesus did for us so that God's mercy will always be upon us. We have to endure to the end and be found deserving of a great blessing that awaits us. The ignorance of our faith is ignorance about Jesus. We may sometimes think that evangelization is just work for the priests and the religious. It is not limited to them but anyone who is baptized should take on this responsibility. JFK once said, "Here on earth, God's work must truly be our own." Nothing should ever stop us from being part of the work of God. God made man in His own image and likeness. (Gen 1:26) In this context we need to define personhood well and know the perils of limited definition. It could be classified into 2 definitions, nominal and real. Nominal definition of personhood is decided by man. It is approaching something that we don't know but we already have the answer. We make decisions and play God. The dangers of this definition of a person are:
1. nominal- when we deny to identify a person as a real person. Example is abortion, when doctors deny the fact that at the moment of conception a person already exists.
2. real but limited - We do not deny but identify them as persons but with lesser worth like the sick and terminally ill. Just because they are old, weak and sick they deserve to die as in the case of euthanasia.
3. full and real but limited - Kills people as in the Holocaust.
The whole principle involved here is discovery and deciding. When our approach is discovery then we are being led to the events in our life with a sense of total surrender, trust and faith in the Lord's Providence for the realization of things that are unseen and hoped for. God may not fully reveal and present us with a surprise but we maintain full confidence in a God who brought us to wherever we are right now. In deciding, our approach is a lot different since we already have an answer for something that we don't know yet. It boils down to the fact that we think we know too much but we don't. We end up playing God. We need to remain as man and allow God to be God of our life. When man becomes god, we lose everything because we are not God. We have to realize the impact in our life of discovery versus deciding.
We should ascribe to the real definition of personhood. It answers the question what, how and what is it meant to be. Our approach in life to achieve faith and righteousness is by discovery and through an authentic Christian life. Discovery can be best defined in the sense that we are open to the intention and purpose of God for us. With a seeking and expectant faith we should allow God to lead us in discovering what is ahead of us and prepared by God. The approach should be in a manner of discovering what God's intention is and respecting it. We've heard of several occasions when people are spared from death or any tragic or unpleasant event because they missed the bus, woke up late, got stuck in traffic and something just came up which delayed them. I guess, it has happened to us too, somehow. After feeling annoyed and impatient because of that incident, we just found out that what appeared to be a nuisance and a problem turned out to be a blessing. It will always be good to undergo trials and hardships in life and remain steadfast in the Lord for everything will pay off in the end. Not a single thing that we've been through for the glory of God will ever be in vain. It is only right that we give all glory, honor and praise to God. We need not wait and see any longer for it is in our very own lives that God wants us to start paying attention to in order to make a return for all the good he has done. What Jesus has done for all of us is the ultimate sacrifice of love ever known in the entire history of mankind. It is impossible for us to repay what He has done but with hearts full of gratitude we can follow what the psalm reading today is telling us. It is only right and fitting that we honor our vows and promises.  This shows how grateful, confident and assured we are of the Lord’s goodness. It is only right and fitting that we give 100% loyalty to God who deserves more than all the praises we can give. Let us cloth ourselves with the blood which Jesus shed for us in Mount Calvary, let us not forget what Jesus did for us so that God's mercy will always be upon us. The blood that marked the houses of the Jews during the Passover spared them from death. We, as true believers and followers of Christ had been marked with the Most Efficacious Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is really good that without us making a way, He was the One who made the way. No amount of thank you will ever suffice to what God has done for all of us. This and only this should we always have in mind, the least we could do is to always put God first in everything we do. Let Him become our motivation and inspiration knowing that He shed His blood for our sake. We may look different, strange and queer for some because of our intense desire to please God in return for all the good that He has done for us. It may still be imperfect or could be unbecoming if based on the standards of some but we must continuously strive to do our best to pay reverence, homage and loyalty to the one and only Supreme Lord of all in the presence of all his people at all cost in the best way we can. We have to feel the abounding joy and peace in our heart as we remind ourselves of the many promises of God that we have been patiently waiting for to be fulfilled. God is going to fulfill all His promises. It should give us renewed strength and courage to confidently stand up and remain steadfast in His love against all odds. We can be a people radiating with goodness that others can see the contrast. We can choose modesty, chastity and purity over the values that the world tries to influence us with. We should be able to know our definition of happiness and love and be the person God has made us to be before the world defines it for us. In doing so we can face God on that day with faith and enter the ark of salvation into His heavenly kingdom. Amen. Hallelujah!

Psalms 116,10.15.16-17.18-19.
R: I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.
...I kept faith, even when I said, "I am greatly afflicted!" Precious in the eyes of the LORD is the death of his faithful ones. (R)16 O LORD, I am your servant; I am your servant, the son of your handmaid; you have loosed my bonds. (R) 17 To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving, and I will call upon the name of the LORD. 18 My vows to the LORD I will pay in the presence of all his people.



The 1st reading for today contains one of my most cherished and favorite bible passages. This is also found in the lyrics of a Christian song entitled, "Dios ay Pag-ibig" meaning God is love which is also the favorite song of my nanay (mother). She already passed away and her birthday was last Oct. 21. Every time I encounter this bible passage I am always reminded of how strong the faith of my mother was. It is one of the reasons why I grew up with the same kind of conviction that she has in the kind of love that God has for us. There is nothing to fear as we travel the road leading us to the path to Jesus. We are safe and secure in the promises of God our Savior. Amen. Hallelujah!


Letter to the Romans 8,31-34.
What then shall we say to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?He who did not spare his own Son but handed him over for us all, how will he not also give us everything else along with him? Who will bring a charge against God's chosen ones? It is God who acquits us.

We should fully trust the voice of Jesus who dwells in us through the Holy Spirit. If there are times when we get confused and don't know anymore what to do, whom to listen and where to go just feel the very depths of our heart as we pray and He will never hesitate nor withhold the answers we seek. He is not a God who misleads, confuses and causes chaos. There is a time for everything. All we have to do is kneel down before the foot of the cross and we will surely find the answers. Let our hearts talk and do the work to fully understand His instructions to us. May we be able to learn the art of silence and just listen and meditate on the Word of God. There are some things that our mind can not fully explain and understand. Each one of us during our lifetime have experienced unbelievable things wrought by God's mighty hand that are beyond our understanding and comprehension. We shouldn't be surprised at all if we truly believe that our life is in the hands of a God who is Almighty, Immortal and Holy. Today’s gospel invites us to look deeply into the transfiguration of Jesus. This corresponds to the 1st transformation in the womb of the Blessed Mother when the glory of God penetrated humanity. This transformation happened without any harm coming on Christ’s Divine nature.  This communication of divinity is the immediate prelude of the resurrection. We long and have a deep desire to live and see at the very moment of our death this same glorious sight that the disciples saw although with holy fear and an awe of God that we want to live in perfect union with Him. We see God’s face that shines forth and with clothes dazzling white. We think of the very garments worn by Jesus made by Mary. We ask Mary to intercede for us and plead to her son that each of us will be transformed into the likeness of His son just as Jesus Himself was woven in the flesh of her own body.  The transfiguration is true of us when we experience deification after the 2nd coming. Our features will not be distorted but glorified just as in the person of Jesus. He did not lose the substance of his flesh but showed forth an addition of brightness. Our bodies will be renewed in the way Jesus is. We will be brought to a state of perfection, surrounded by the glory of God not only at the level of our souls but also in the level of our bodies. Jesus is one Divine Person with 2 natures, the divine son who by merit of his Incarnation assumed our human nature. He exists united, with human and divine nature which is what we profess in the Apostle’s Creed every Sunday. He takes the aspect of suffering and humiliation when He underwent death in his human nature but in his divinity resurrected in glory for He is life Himself. His glory in transfiguration as a human person is not abolished or absorbed by His divinity nor did His humanity hide His Divinity. When Jesus became man He did not in any way lost any of His Divine nature. He is always complete, fully divine and fully human and always in full and total operation, both natures are together and miraculously joined in the person of Jesus Christ. His divinity is not evacuated but divinity communicated.  He shares to us his divinity and makes us partakers as in Romans 8:16-17, The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if only we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him.  God alone can transfigure our lives and make it beautiful. Thus the gospel for today also holds a special meaning to me in relation to my son. He wrote an essay a couple of years ago to fulfill one of the requirements for his College entrance exam. Here is what he wrote.

-When I was in elementary (4th grade) and wanted to be a part of the basketball team of our school. I tried out many times but I always get cut because I am not physically fit, I was really fat back then. I was really determined to join the team and I decided to lose weight and get fit. I exercised daily and lessened my food intake and from 160lbs I became 120lbs. On the first term of my 1st year in high school, I tried out again for the team and I got accepted but the league that I am suppose to play in was in the 3rd term. I became really sad that the coach didn’t recognize my determination and talent. And then the most unexpected thing happened to me, during our PE class which was swimming, I got a perfect score in our practical test in diving. My teacher talked to me about my potential in becoming a strong swimmer and asked me if I would want to join the team, at first I was hesitant in joining because I didn’t really know how to swim but when my teacher said that he would teach me all of the strokes, I immediately accepted his offer. At the start of my training in swimming, I had a really hard time. My coach said that it’s normal because I haven't been swimming for a long time already and my body is not yet used to it. But he assured me that eventually I will soon get the hang of it. And so I did train hard and enjoyed at the same time, I joined competitions and it was in my 4th competition that I got my very first medal. And now that I am in my 4th year in High School, I was appointed by our coach to be the Team Captain. In those years I have learned that you must persevere in order to attain your goal. I just wanted to be a part of the basketball team but because of persevering it turned out to be more than I expected because now I am already the Team Captain of the swimming team.

 When I was a child about 7years old, I used to idolize the cartoon character Tarzan. His family lived in the jungle, but his parents were killed when he was still young and the gorillas were the ones who took care of him. I was really captured by the movie and I used to watch it everyday, over and over again. And then one afternoon, after eating lunch, I got so hyper that I copied the moves of Tarzan. In our garage we had a lot of cases of beer for my dad’s business. I climbed the cases of beer about a storey high. I lost my footing and I fell from it. It was really high that I just closed my eyes and then all I heard were the crashes of the bottles and cases. And then felt that my body was flat on the ground. And then I heard my mom screaming. When I opened my eyes I was already surrounded by  glass splinters. The shirt that I was wearing was bedecked with broken glasses. It looked like it was stuck there forever and can no longer be used so my mom just threw it away. I was all wet with beer and really smelled of alcohol but aside from that all I got was a small scratch in my chin. I saw my mother’s face and she was crying so hard, she kept on asking me “Are you okay? Where does it hurt?” and I just said to her that I am okay and she has nothing to worry about. I got up and took a shower then I slept. When I woke up, I saw my mother crying while praying and then I said to her that I would join in praying. From that day on I have always prayed almost everyday. I made it a point that I would always talk to God and thank Him for His blessings everyday. From a kid who watches Tarzan, I became a man who have a big faith in God. End of his sharing.

When I read this I was in tears. I praised and thanked God for the personal transfiguration process of my son at a very young age and still at work even in the present. Amen. Hallelujah!

Mark 9:2-10
2 Jesus took Peter, James, and John and led them up a high mountain apart by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, 3 and his clothes became dazzling white, such as no fuller on earth could bleach them. 4 Then Elijah appeared to them along with Moses, and they were conversing with Jesus. 5 Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, “Rabbi, it is good that we are here! Let us make three tents: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 6 He hardly knew what to say, they were so terrified. 7 Then a cloud came, casting a shadow over them; then from the cloud came a voice, “This is my beloved Son. Listen to him.”…



No comments:

Post a Comment