Tuesday, December 5, 2017

RATIO & PROPORTION

There are seasons in our life that we have to go through. In fact, there are many changes looming around the corner nowadays. This Christmas season there is really a need for the people to kneel down in prayer for God's will to prevail in every person. There have been a lot of issues going on around us and we can not be assured of the economic stability all over the world but what should be of utmost concern is the decline and decay of the moral fabric of every person. In just a few weeks we would be celebrating Christmas, the birth of our Savior. Whatever seasons, or feelings we have there is always a reason to paint our faces with a big smile just like what the 1st reading encourages us to do. Have we given it some serious thought? During those times when we almost hit rock bottom and looked like everything is a dead end as if nothing good is ever going to happen but managed to make it through, still standing to this day. We may not be fully aware of it but in all those things God is always there for us. It is just a matter of drawing ourselves really close to God so that we can feel Him better in the midst of the so many stimuli that constantly compete to catch our attention. We have a tendency to underplay the role of God in our lives because we are not focused on Him. It is time we give credit to whom it is due. As today's 1st reading suggests to us, we really have to behold and look to God so that we will truly see. I could never forget the time when I decided to buy my son a laptop as a birthday gift. Actually I wasn't really sure about buying one since at that time I was a bit short in my finances. His birthday will be in a few weeks back then and I intended to give it as a birthday gift so it will not reach him on time if I send via balikbayan box and I know for a fact that it is not wise to send brand new laptops and the like via door to door box.  I have heard of rumors that it is not safe because it might end up getting lost. I finally decided against it and just hoped that if there will be somebody going home to the Philippines then that's the time I will decide to buy one. I knew at the back of my mind that it may not be possible to find someone going home to the Philippines within the specified time I have in mind which is just 1-2 weeks, in order to reach my son on time for his birthday. To find a trustworthy person and generous at that to be willing to carry a laptop in his/her baggage is another thing. Although there was a longing and aching in my heart to buy this gift for my son because he has been wishing for one, I knew I was unable to do so because of my limited options which lead to my indecision. I was just surprised that during the consecration in the Holy Mass, the Lord suddenly impressed in my heart that I should push through with my plan to buy that birthday gift. It gave me a new found confidence in pursuing the plan even though I have limited resources and options. To my surprise, I got a call from my friend Carmen in New Jersey who told me that she's going home to the Philippines on Aug. 24 which was exactly a week before his birthday on Aug. 31. This may be the sign that I've been waiting for I thought, because when I asked her if it was ok to include a laptop in her baggage she immediately agreed. All the while I thought that everything will end up there when I was finally able to buy a laptop and had it shipped to Carmen. It was just barely a week when I got news from Carmen that she is no longer going home and will just send the laptop via door to door and will no longer reach my son on time for his birthday. I was so disappointed since I never intended to send it via door to door, could have decided against if I had known right away and worse it was late for his birthday. I had so much anxiety and fear upon learning of it but I held on to God's goodness despite the seemingly endless wait for the delivery of the door to door which took almost 2 months when normally all it takes is just 1 month or less. For I know in my heart that my decision was based first and foremost on the message that I got from the Lord during the consecration in the Holy Mass I was not moved. I continued in my prayers and supplications to God that the laptop will reach my son in good shape because it really meant a lot to me, the way a mother longs to be with her sons but couldn't and the only consolation is the fact that somehow I can give them something to be happy about in exchange of my absence. Despite the long wait, God rescued me in my distress. My son finally got a hold of his birthday gift. It was like a great relief washed over me. If we continue to persevere in our faith in the Lord against all odds we will come to know that something good is going to happen because the best is in store for us.  Today's 1st reading tells us that we can look forward to a grand celebration or fiesta galore with much rejoicing that nothing can ever be compared to it. How can we not believe and trust in Him? How can we not give full confidence that He is able to answer all our needs? If we allow God then every single day should be viewed like He is always with us in the most intimate and personal way. Our God is the most loving and caring father that He will never abandon us. No matter what we are going through right now today's first reading should relieve us from every kind of worry. Amen. Hallelujah!



Isaiah 25:6-10a
On this mountain the LORD of hosts will provide for all peoples a feast of rich food and choice wines, juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines. On this mountain he will destroy the veil that veils all peoples, the web that is woven over all nations; he will destroy death forever. The Lord GOD will wipe away the tears from all faces; the reproach of his people he will remove from the whole earth; for the LORD has spoken. On that day it will be said “Behold our God, to whom we looked to save us! This is the LORD for whom we looked; let us rejoice and be glad that he has saved us!” For the hand of the LORD will rest on this mountain. 



Psalm 23 assures us where the road of God’s love will lead us because it tells us exactly what kind of road we are heading to if we accept the love of the Good Shepherd. When I was a young child, I used to sing and imagine the scenario in the psalm reading for today. Psalm 23 has a Tagalog song version in the Philippines entitled, “Ang Panginoon ang aking Pastol” I have always loved singing it because of the very comforting words in the song. It has always given me an impression that with God on our side nothing can go wrong and if things seem to look like there is something wrong there is really nothing to fear for He will always be there to defend and protect. Let us not stray away from the Lord and always stay in the flock that He cares for. We may have heard a story of how a lion attacks its prey by separating it from the flock and once it has cornered it and all alone that's the time it devours it. It pays to always stay in the flock under the care of our Good Shepherd. We have to make sure we are not misguided or deceived by a fake shepherd and really belong to the flock of sheep that Jesus shepherds. If we are just to read and understand very well every word said in today's psalm then we ought to find ourselves the most contented and secured person in the whole wide world. There should be no more room for fear, doubt and anxiety. We've got to develop the confidence and faith of a person who have truly believed that the Lord is our shepherd. A sheep without a shepherd doesn’t know where to go and get food. They just stand there looking dumb and hungry. Today's psalm is a reminder and great consolation that we are the sheep and the Lord is our Shepherd. He is the Good Shepherd as stated in today's psalm. He makes us want for nothing more. We are so caught up with our problems and concerns in life that we become oblivious of God. We do not see the love of God in the midst of these disturbing events. In our journey here on earth we are all confronted with the bitter and harsh realities of life. Let us always remember and never forget that on top of those realities is the resounding truth and most essential one that we have a Good Shepherd. We should praise and thank God for those experiences although difficult served as an inspiration which we could hold on to at times when things do not turn out right. We can be assured that everything is in control although there is really a need to go through a so called "dark valley" of our lives in order for us to be fully aware that we have a God who looks after our welfare no matter how things turn out unexpectedly and not according to what we have in mind. We always have to believe that in the end, God is always on our side to give us the courage to carry on and find that God got us covered. There is one thing sure if we hold on to God as a sheep to the Good Shepherd, we will never be disappointed. The words of God in today's readings give us an assurance that He is always there for us. He said it and He means it then so be it. There is nothing more He could possibly mean when He said that He is the Good Shepherd other than He cares for us. He never forsakes nor abandons any single one of His flock. Sometimes we are confronted with situations that push us to the limits and thus we give way. This should never be the case at any single time. We should not entertain the option that is clearly not pleasing to the Lord even beyond the point of maximum tolerance. We may find ourselves able to resist up to a certain extent only. Thus when the tough gets really tough we would suddenly find ourselves shifting our loyalty. We only find ourselves proclaiming God in our life when situations are favorable. It's such a pity if we would ever come to this point where almost everybody in this world found themselves comfortably positioned. We can easily change positions when things get uncomfortable and easily turn our backs on what is ultimately God’s will for us. As in Rev. 3:16, So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. It is time to make a stand and know which side we really are rather than continue making excuses and justifications. We must not doubt God's ability to be the  Good Shepherd that He really is to us and trust Him rather than ourselves to carry out the plan He has for us.  Just like this old adage, "Never put the law into your hands." We should not take away God's plan from His hands into ours and act like we know better. If there's someone who could perfectly carry out this plan for our lives then that is no other than God Himself. Nothing could be more perfect than entrusting our life in God's hands. Just try to imagine ourselves right now, as is, where is with all our cares and problems in this world. Then try to paint another picture, this time with God as the Good Shepherd that tends the sheep, then picture ourselves as that sheep that the Lord tends. Be still for a moment and try to absorb and allow to sink in the words in the responsorial psalm. In God's loving embrace we are secured and satisfied that there is nothing we stand in need of. If the Lord is our shepherd who could ask for more? Goodness and love pursue us all the days of our life. For as long we're sure that the Lord Jesus is indeed the shepherd who leads us and whom we follow then there is no doubt about this. We should thank the Lord for our daily assurances, confirmation and in all circumstances. God will never allow us to go hungry and will always give us what we need and even more. God is a generous God that when we're feeling hungry or in need of something He is always there to provide, all we have to do is trust Him in His ways, as He has promised. Amen. Hallelujah!

Psalm 23:1-3a, 3b-4, 5, 6
R: I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

The gospel for today is about the miracle of the multiplication of the bread and feeding of the five thousand. They were hungry and satisfied. God has always wanted us to become the best persons we ought to be. Our lives should be a testimony of God's glory. He wants us to be always focused on this goal and if things are not turning toward this direction then it is time to realign ourselves to God's agenda and not be carried away by the enticements and false assurances of this world. The gospel specifically said that Jesus walked by the Sea of Galilee and went up on the mountain. It hit me in the sense that it is somehow telling us to go across the Sea of Galilee and elevate ourselves to a higher level. This invitation is for all of us. Sometimes we get too comfortable doing the old thing and whatever we have gotten used to. It is time for us to go past it and take the challenge of climbing a higher level for the greater glory of God. The disciples in the gospel today said this to Jesus, "Where could we ever get enough bread in this deserted place to satisfy such a crowd?" He wanted to test them, because he himself knew what he was going to do.” It's a good thing His disciples responded and cooperated with Jesus. The same with us, we may be asked by God to go out of our comfort zones and practical outlook. You know why? So that God can perform His miracle in our life. It emphasizes the truth that God will never allow us to grow hungry and will always provide for our needs. There is no need to go anywhere else for nourishment. There is no need to go away and search elsewhere. We only have to go to God for only Him can satisfy all our longings and desires. We may all know about the story in today's gospel and  have heard it several times already but somehow lost the element of surprise already. But if we will look at it very closely we will discover much more amazing things than we already know. It was not just the satisfying and healing of the physical hunger and deformities that God can do for us but more than we are able to really comprehend. God can go beyond the satisfaction of our physical needs. There is really no one or nothing else we can rely and depend on more than God. We have a very generous God that He gives us more than enough and even went beyond our satisfaction levels which is symbolized by the number 7 which means perfect and was used to describe the fragments left over that they picked up. God assures in the readings for today that we will never go hungry or thirsty for anything at all be it physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Since today's readings emphasizes the fact that we will be fed and satisfied by the Lord this reminded me of our visit to Sis Ester's house for our block rosary. We were all so blessed to experience the generosity of Sis Ester in welcoming us in their home. She had gone out of her way for several days just to accommodate us in their home. We hadn't been just fed but also end up with “to go” treats. This outward display of affection on her part gives us much joy and makes us appreciate even more the goodness of God. Although a pale comparison to the fiesta galore or great banquet in heaven that we all look forward to but definitely a foretaste of the best that is yet to come. In the gospel, all they've got is the seven loaves and few fish which is nothing in proportion to the great crowd that Jesus wanted to feed. Well, I guess ratio and proportion does not apply to the limitless power of God. We may think that we are in a desperate situation or we are a hopeless case. We must not underestimate what God can do. We just have to go to God "as is where is" just like any other junk material that can be bought in whatever condition, God will take us exactly as we are and do the necessary work and miracle for us. God will not just provide for our needs but more. He is indeed a God who is more than enough! Just as Bishop Fulton Sheen was emphasizing in his talk that there is a need to see and live both sides of life. As there is a tragic and comic side to it, Jesus in today’s gospel also did the same thing. He attended to not only the spiritual need of the people but also their physical needs. If we sometimes feel that we are in a pitiful situation and nothing good is happening to us, we better think twice before we wallow up in self pity and depression. More than the miracle of feeding the five thousand, God is telling us to focus more on His compassionate heart that nourishes us physically and spiritually as well because only Jesus can satisfy us. We have a God who will not only satisfy one aspect of our life but all of it. In today's gospel, the vast crowd who followed Jesus in a deserted place despite of being late was not disappointed. It gives us the assurance that God will always rescue us and work for the good. Neither will he abandon or forsake us for He knows what we need even before we ask it. So no matter what our situations may seem to appear, whether we feel like we've been abandoned in a deserted place and things are running late, we should always trust God to give us everything we need and have been praying for. We are also invited to look at the beautiful truths contained in the gospel. This is the only miracle that appears in all four gospels. The others appear only in 3 or less. We can gain insight and a deeper faith in God by focusing on these words, Bethlehem, manger and star. Bethlehem in Hebrew means “House of Bread”. Jesus is laid in a manger, and the root word mange means to much, chew or gnaw. The 3 wise men were led to Jesus by following a star. The star could represent the tabernacle lamp which is the guiding light that houses the Holy Eucharist. They would benefit us to contemplate on these things in relation to the gospel today. Jesus always mentions in the gospel that He is the True Bread who came down from heaven. John 6:33-35, “For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." So they said to him, "Sir, give us this bread always." Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.” John 6:48-56, “I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died;  this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world." The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us (his) flesh to eat?" Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. We need to consume His True and abiding Presence. He teaches us to adore Him, Christ the Lord just as the shepherds did with the angels and the Magi on bended knees. Let us adore Him as well. Though we see and taste the bread and wine, it is no longer bread and wine but the Body & Blood of Christ. The Lord transforms what lies before us. The scriptures especially in John 6 are very clear so as not to judge it as a mere sign and symbol. Everybody left Him except the apostles because it is a very hard teaching and they could not accept it. It can’t be apprehended by the 5 senses but by faith. We must not doubt if it is true we just have to rely on the words of our Savior who is Himself the Truth. St. Cyril of Alexandria said that we have already been instructed in words and filled with unshakeable faith. Furthermore he said, “What our senses fail to fathom, let us grasp through faith’s consent.” We must not find it difficult to believe of Christ’s true presence in the Holy Eucharist as we believe that God is on earth as He is heaven. Let us not contradict God’s words and allow it to prevail over our reason and senses. It will be very meritorious to our souls if we hold on to His words because it will not lead us astray nor will it deceive us. Jesus declared it to be His True Body & Blood so who would dare question it. We need to be strong in faith that upon the blessing of the bread the very nature is changed so that what looks like bread is truly the Body of Christ. If we believe the Word made flesh and dwelt among us and created the world from nothing why can’t we believe that He can cause His own Body & Blood as in transubstantiation, to be present from something already existing as in the bread and wine. What a gift we have in the Holy Eucharist, the True Bread from heaven. We need to have a profound love of the Eucharist and be united and transformed by Holy Communion.  The faith required of the believer is more than just being fed physically and satisfied but has to go beyond it. How long will we be hard of heart? God is humbling Himself daily in the altar in the hands of the priest. As we see bread and wine with bodily eyes we should see it as the Holy Body and Blood, living and true while we remember what He said in the scripture, "Behold, I am with you even to the end of the world." Amen. Hallelujah!

Matthew 15:29-37
29 At that time: Jesus walked by the Sea of Galilee, went up on the mountain, and sat down there. 30 Great crowds came to him, having with them the lame, the blind, the deformed, the mute, and many others. They placed them at his feet, and he cured them. 31 The crowds were amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the deformed made whole, the lame walking, and the blind able to see, and they glorified the God of Israel. 32 Jesus summoned his disciples and said, “My heart is moved with pity for the crowd, for they have been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, for fear they may collapse on the way." The disciples said to him, "Where could we ever get enough bread in this deserted place to satisfy such a crowd?" Jesus said to them, “How many loaves do you have?” “Seven,” they replied, “and a few fish.” 35 He ordered the crowd to sit down on the ground. 36 Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, gave thanks, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave  them to the crowds. 37 They all ate and were satisfied. They picked up the fragments left over — seven baskets full.



No comments:

Post a Comment