Saturday, July 1, 2017

NEVER DOUBT JUST BELIEVE

In today’s 1st reading, Abraham was visited by 3 men whom he showed hospitality despite the fact that he had never met them before. There are times when we think negatively and consider some of the good things we have done as lost and gone. Especially if we do it to people whom we barely know, could not return the favor and could not  benefit in us in some ways. Such as these would never be the case if we consider everything we do as a form of service to God. It makes a whole lot of difference when the people we’re doing a great favor are dear and close to us. To extend hospitality to someone who is almost a stranger and could not return the favor nor expect anything from them is truly noble. Abraham was rewarded for his good deeds by God Himself who never lets anything go unnoticed especially those we offer in service to God. Since I arrived here in the US in May 19, 2007 I never had a single hair cut. My hair has grown so long that a lot of people have noticed it already. It has been more than 6 years since then and my hair has gotten so long. Although I tie it all the time there are some people who know how long it has become and have been convincing me to have it cut. I remained firm in my decision to have my hair cut only when God has granted my long time prayer and request. I just can’t make some people understand why I have to do what I am doing. I’ve had several affirmations with regards to this decision of mine and today’s 1st reading is one of them. It serves as an encouragement and reminder that God is able to carry out what He said He would do. It is on this account that I remain firm in what I have committed to do. I personally felt God's assurance with regards to it. I could still remember when Bernadeth and I were at Chinatown and later on at Japanese Village together with Sis Rose whom we have accompanied for an appointment. Bernadeth was browsing over the rack of clothes and her fashion sense started to get the better of her when she started pointing out some clothes that I should buy and would fit me and again asked when I plan to have my hair cut. When I told her soon once the promise is fulfilled, she laughed and said, "Yeah, you're right and when will that be?" I can not blame her for saying that since it has been quite a long time already since she's been hearing me say these things and until now it has not happened yet. I just answered her that only God knows. She laughed even more when I said that, so I asked her, "Why are you laughing, are you doubting that God knows everything.?" To my surprise the 1st reading today if we read further on happened to be the exact reading immediately on the day after that incident. It speaks of Sarah laughing at the impossibility of what was said to her but it had been fulfilled. It is for this reason that I continue to give praise, honor and glory to God who is without a doubt able to do marvelous things. Amen. Hallelujah!

Genesis 8:1-15
…I will surely return to you about this time next year and Sarah will then have a son....13 But the LORD said to Abraham: “Why did Sarah laugh and say, ‘Shall I really bear a child, old as I am?’ 14 Is anything too marvelous for the LORD to do? At the appointed time, about this time next year, I will return to you, and Sarah will have a son.” 15 Because she was afraid, Sarah dissembled, saying, “I didn’t laugh.” But he said, “Yes you did.”

We should always have so much hope in the Lord who makes all good things happen for and to us.  If we just try to recall everything that we've been through and we have been totally dependent and fully surrendered to God then we can surely say to ourselves that God has always been there for us. The gospel this advent season always speaks of child bearing of those women that are called barren and somehow it can be compared to becoming fruitful for the Lord. It challenges us to give birth to a blessing from out of nothing and trust the Lord's power to do it. Today's gospel in particular contains the Magnificat which has become a famous prayer and song for most Catholics. The Magnificat (Latin: [My soul] magnifies) — also known as the Song of Mary — is a canticle frequently sung (or spoken) liturgically in Christian church services. It is one of the 8 most ancient Christian hymns and perhaps the earliest Marian hymn. The text of the canticle is taken directly from the Gospel of Luke (Luke 1:46-55) where it is spoken by the Virgin Mary upon the occasion of her Visitation to her cousin Elizabeth. In the narrative, after Mary greets Elizabeth, who is pregnant with the future John the Baptist, the child moves within Elizabeth's womb. When Elizabeth praises Mary for her faith, Mary sings the Magnificat in response. The canticle echoes several Old Testament biblical passages, but the most pronounced allusions are to the Song of Hannah, from the Books of Samuel (1Samuel 2:1-10) Not many of us know that these words of Mary are taken from the very prayer of Hannah in the Old Testament which happens to be the character being spoken of in today's 1st reading. Even Mary, the Mother of God studied scriptures and used it to form part of her prayer. She was also knowledgeable of these holy men and women who lived way back in the Old Testament. If not she would not have used in the Magnificat the same words that Hannah prayed. Haven't we thought of it yet? We are better off in a way that we do not have just the Old Testament as guide for our daily living but the richness and fullness of the New Testament where everything is fulfilled. We are reminded not to forget to acknowledge the goodness of God in our lives. Sometimes we have a tendency to overlook or neglect this important thing of acknowledgement. This reminds me of a terrible mistake I did in the past. I had my thesis manuscript printed and bounded but forgot to include the acknowledgement page. When my adviser knew about it he kidded me by saying, "Thanks to I, me and myself." Well I guess, it's really important that we acknowledge people for what they did to us or most importantly God for that matter whom we owe everything. On top of that, the readings for today point to it as something we need to do and not overlook as demonstrated by these 2 popular and well loved personalities of faith. Mary's way of acknowledging the greatness of God is evident in the gospel today. It is very appropriate also that today's 1st reading is about Hannah. These 2 women both echo in their songs their deep gratitude for God. We, too in our own right can claim ownership to the Magnificat if we will only follow the example of a perfect response to God's blessing and call of these 2 women (Hannah and Mary) in the scriptures. We must proclaim the goodness of the Lord for all the good things He has done and for everything that comes our way. Just like them we should develop an attitude of complete trust in the Lord and reflect in our lives the gratitude we have in our hearts no matter what situation we are in. We can surely learn from their example and start developing in ourselves this sense of gratitude and acknowledgement to whom it is really due. Amen. Hallelujah!


P S A L M
Luke 1:46-47. 48-49. 50 and 53. 54-55

R: The Lord has remembered his mercy.

46 “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, 47 my spirit rejoices in God my savior.” (R) 48 “For he has looked with favor on his lowly servant... 53 He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty.   “He has come to the help of his servant, for he has remembered his promise of mercy,...

The gospel speaks of one's love and concern for a fellow human being no matter who that person is. God also sees the love we have for each and every member of our household/family and He will always come to save and heal us just like in the gospel. It also serves as a reminder to us that just like that centurion we should have that unwavering faith in the word of God and seek to follow His lead always. It is very overwhelming to know that such power and authority of God is existent in all people, places, time and circumstances. There is no limit in what God can do for our lives. All we have to do is have faith, never doubt and just believe and it will be done for us. Just like this Gentile Roman centurion who did not belong to the race of the Chosen People and yet was reached by the power of God we, too should develop in ourselves this great faith in God no matter what. In fact, the words of this Roman Centurion resound up to this moment and time as it is being recited in the Communion Rite every time there is Holy Mass being celebrated all over the world. Jesus has defied the cultural barriers of faith and demonstrated in today's gospel that He is indeed over all, in all and for all. It is good to examine ourselves if we have the same humility and faith like the centurion right before we accept Jesus in Holy Communion. The centurion knows that Jesus can heal his servant. He humbly asked the Lord and showed Jesus an act of faith. St. Jose Maria Escriva once wrote, "We are going to receive our Lord on this earth, when we receive an important person in our home we bring out the best, food, lights, music and formal dress. How should we prepare to receive Christ in our souls? Have we ever thought of how we must behave if we should ever receive Him only once in a lifetime who is the King of kings and the Lord of lords? Amen. Hallelujah!


Matthew 8:5-11
When Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion approached him and appealed to him, saying, “Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully.” He said to him, “I will come and cure him.” The centurion said in reply, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed. For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come here,’ and he comes; and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith. I say to you, many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the banquet in the kingdom of heaven.”...And Jesus said to the centurion, “You may go; as you have believed, let it be done for you.” ...



No comments:

Post a Comment