Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SO SHALL GOD

Today's 1st reading tells of the legendary Queen Esther who for her great courage and faith in the Lord saved her people from being exterminated. It was not an easy task for a woman like her to do at that time but she was able to do it through God's power, might and faithfulness to His people. Speaking of bravery reminded me of our trip 3 years ago in Crestline. At first, it was like a glimpse of heaven on our way up to the mountain on the "Rim of the World Scenic Byway" but it suddenly turned to a near death experience. We have been completely caught off guard by the sudden change of the weather plus the fact that the place had been destroyed by fire and the streets and landmarks might have been erased or changed and the information in the mapquest had not been revised. We had no idea anymore where we were going. We were confronted with a no room for mistake, one wrong move and you're doomed worst case scenario as the surroundings turned dark and became close to zero visibility in just an instant. The panic and fear we felt back then must have been like Queen Esther’s as she pleaded to God for help. It was like nothing could help us and all we did was to completely trust God.  We surrendered everything to the Lord and before we knew it the roads suddenly cleared up and the directions we were following made sense. God’s goodness and mercy showed us His saving power and grace. The experience up on that mountain was really something but more than anything else was the realization that God in His goodness is able to give us the help that we need which leads us to finding the right path. I am also reminded of my mother, I still miss, long for and my heart aches for her. Although she is no longer physically present with us, she never fails to constantly make me feel that she is still watching over me especially with the dream I had before on the very day of her death anniversary or birthday in heaven (March 15). This was further confirmed by Eileen a friend and a former classmate. I told her how I would never forget her birthday since it is also the date when my mother left us and went to be with God. Another thing was that my mother's name is Cecilia but her nickname is Ely so it is almost close to Eileen. Does this sound lame? But on top of it was the fact that she said things that I would always treasure in my heart. Although this happened several years ago I could never forget it because I was deeply touched by the words she said about my mother. I never quite expected that she still has such a clear recollection of her. She brought back very nice memories of my departed mother. Looking back at such experiences has brought so much joy into my heart. It makes us see as today's 1st reading tells us, that God only wants us to go nowhere but through the door to His Perfect Will and Plan. Indeed, God allows things to happen for a reason, which is far greater and divine than our own intended purpose. Amen, Hallelujah!
Esther C:12, 14-16, 23-25
Queen Esther, seized with mortal anguish, likewise had recourse to the Lord.
Then she prayed to the Lord, the God of Israel, saying: "My Lord, our King, you alone are God. Help me, who am alone and have no help but you, for I am taking my life in my hand...Save us by your power, and help me, who am alone and have no one but you, O Lord. "You know all things...Be mindful of us, O Lord. Manifest yourself in the time of our distress and give me courage, King of gods and Ruler of every power...Save us from the hand of our enemies; turn our mourning into gladness and our sorrows into wholeness.

I could never forget the experience when we were in that very hazardous place in Crestline without any idea where we were going. I am thankful for the lesson learned from it. All we have to do is completely trust Him that in His goodness and mercy will show us His saving power and grace. If there's one thing for sure, that is the truth that God knows everything we are going through and He will not withhold the help that we need from Him in His most appropriate and best time, place and situation. All we need to do is just give our trust completely to Him who will complete what he has done for us and would not forsake the work of His hands. Just constantly pray and sing out our praises to God to unleash the power within us. We can always count on God at all times in all circumstances. Let us not stall any longer and finally respond to His call without any reservation. We should entrust all our cares and concerns to the Lord and be assured that He is true to His promise and will fulfill it. Our God is faithful and He who began a good work will be faithful to complete it in all of us. God never fails in sending us people, circumstances and situations that always build up strength in us. I have always believed in angels even before I got the miracle petal with a cherubim’s image. I can still remember and will never forget how my mother used to narrate to us how I was miraculously saved by my angel several times. First was when I was still less than 2 months old and fell from a height of 2-3 ft countertop when the nanny after giving me a bath left me for only a second to get something and upon returning found me already unconscious and lying on the hard, ceramic tiled floor. I was rushed to the doctor but he told them that if I fail to regain consciousness within an hour then he said I could die. To everybody's surprise I started to cry even before the time is up. Another one was when I was barely 2 yrs old when I almost got hit by a speeding jeepney. My parent's house is right beside my grandparent's house which is right in front of the school where my mother used to teach. She said she was standing in the center of the stage of the school that was why she had a good view of the things around her even the terrace of my grandparent's house so she got the shock of her life when she saw me there alone running very fast heading toward the open gate while a speeding jeepney was coming and looked as if I would really get hit and it would be too late even if somebody was there to stop me. She was already screaming from afar together with the other teachers who saw it and was trying to call the attention of the driver but to no avail for he didn't even slow down because their screams were of no match to the loud engine of the jeep.  It was just a miracle that the moment I stepped on the side of the road she said that I suddenly stopped and stood very still as if someone was holding me back. She said it was my guardian angel that held me and prevented me from getting hit by the jeep.  I don't remember personally any of those experiences it was only through my mother's stories that I came to know about them. But when I was older like in 4th grade I could already remember how I was spared again from being hurt seriously when the fluorescent lamp right on top of my head fell on my desk a split second after I stood up and left my chair.  My classmates were really shocked and were hovering around me and told me that it was really close. There is no doubt, angels are obviously at work. Today God assures us that we can always stand secure for as long as we remain united to Him through the aid of His Holy angels and saints. There is no doubt that we should sing the praises of the Lord in the sight of the angels. Amen. Hallelujah!
Psalm 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 7c-8
R: Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
...Because of your kindness and your truth; for you have made great above all things your name and your promise. 3 When I called, you answered me; you built up strength within me. (R) 7 Your right hand saves me. 8 The LORD will complete what he has done for me; your kindness, O LORD, endures forever; forsake not the work of your hands.
If we will just keep the words of God in our hearts, minds and souls and live by it every single day then we can never go wrong. Today's gospel is one of the first bible passages that have really caught my attention when I was just new to the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. There were a lot of bible verses which are worth memorizing but this one I never had any difficulty remembering. Being a parent and mother myself and imperfect at that, I am still capable of doing the best that I can for the sake of my children. If we can do it for our children so shall God who is perfect in every way. Knowing this to be true in my heart and mind then we should never have any doubt about the love, care and concern that God our Father has for all of us, His children. We have an all knowing God and Father who is always ready to provide for everything that we need except for those things which are not good for us. We may think that the things we have been praying for are good for us as presented and dictated by our limited minds, imperfect ways, yearnings and plans. We are God's children and we are destined for greater things and more than what our minds could ever comprehend. Amen. Hallelujah!
Matthew 7:7-12


7 Jesus said to his disciples: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.9 Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread, 10 or a snake when he asks for a fish? 11 If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him. “Do to others whatever you would have them do to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment