Saturday, October 11, 2014

HE GOT US COVERED

There are seasons in our life that we have to go through. In fact, there are many changes looming around the corner nowadays. There is really a need for the people to kneel down in prayer for God's will to prevail in every person. There have been a lot of issues going on around us and we can not be assured of the economic stability all over the world but what should be of utmost concern is the decline and decay of the moral fabric of every person. In just a few months we would be celebrating Christmas, the birth of our Savior. Whatever seasons, or feelings we have there is always a reason to paint our faces with a big smile just like what the 1st reading encourages us to do. Have we given it some serious thought? During those times when we almost hit rock bottom and looked like everything is a dead end as if nothing good is ever going to happen but managed to make it through, still standing to this day. We may not be fully aware of it but in all those things God is always there for us. It is just a matter of drawing ourselves really close to God so that we can feel Him better in the midst of the so many stimuli that constantly compete to catch our attention. We have a tendency to underplay the role of God in our lives because we are not focused on Him. It is time we give credit to whom it is due. As today's 1st reading suggests to us, we really have to behold and look to God so that we will truly see. I could never forget the time when I decided to buy my son a laptop as a birthday gift. Actually I wasn't really sure about buying one since at that time I was a bit short in my finances. His birthday will be in a few weeks back then and I intended to give it as a birthday gift so it will not reach him on time if I send via balikbayan box and I know for a fact that it is not wise to send brand new laptops and the like via door to door box.  I have heard of rumors that it is not safe because it might end up getting lost. I finally decided against it and just hoped that if there will be somebody going home to the Philippines then that's the time I will decide to buy one. I knew at the back of my mind that it may not be possible to find someone going home to the Philippines within the specified time I have in mind which is just 1-2 weeks, in order to reach my son on time for his birthday. To find a trustworthy person and generous at that to be willing to carry a laptop in his/her baggage is another thing. Although there was a longing and aching in my heart to buy this gift for my son because he has been wishing for one, I knew I was unable to do so because of my limited options which lead to my indecision. I was just surprised that during the consecration in the Holy Mass, the Lord suddenly impressed in my heart that I should push through with my plan to buy that birthday gift. It gave me a new found confidence in pursuing the plan even though I have limited resources and options. To my surprise, I got a call from my friend Carmen in New Jersey who told me that she's going home to the Philippines on Aug. 24 which was exactly a week before his birthday on Aug. 31. This may be the sign that I've been waiting for I thought, because when I asked her if it was ok to include a laptop in her baggage she immediately agreed. All the while I thought that everything will end up there when I was finally able to buy a laptop and had it shipped to Carmen. It was just barely a week when I got news from Carmen that she is no longer going home and will just send the laptop via door to door and will no longer reach my son on time for his birthday. I was so disappointed since I never intended to send it via door to door, could have decided against if I had known right away and worse it was late for his birthday. I had so much anxiety and fear upon learning of it but I held on to God's goodness despite the seemingly endless wait for the delivery of the door to door which took almost 2 months when normally all it takes is just 1 month or less. For I know in my heart that my decision was based first and foremost on the message that I got from the Lord during the consecration in the Holy Mass I was not moved. I continued in my prayers and supplications to God that the laptop will reach my son in good shape because it really meant a lot to me, the way a mother longs to be with her sons but couldn't and the only consolation is the fact that somehow I can give them something to be happy about in exchange of my absence. Despite the long wait, God rescued me in my distress. My son finally got a hold of his birthday gift. It was like a great relief washed over me. If we continue to persevere in our faith in the Lord against all odds we will come to know that something good is going to happen because the best is in store for us.  Today's 1st reading tells us that we can look forward to a grand celebration or fiesta galore with much rejoicing that nothing can ever be compared to it. How can we not believe and trust in Him? How can we not give full confidence that He is able to answer all our needs? If we allow God then every single day should be viewed like He is always with us in the most intimate and personal way. Our God is the most loving and caring father that He will never abandon us. No matter what we are going through right now today's first reading should relieve us from every kind of worry. Amen. Hallelujah!



Isaiah 25:6-10a
6 On this mountain the LORD of hosts will provide for all peoples a feast of rich food and choice wines, juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines. 7 On this mountain he will destroy the veil that veils all peoples, the web that is woven over all nations; 8 he will destroy death forever. The Lord GOD will wipe away the tears from all faces; the reproach of his people he will remove from the whole earth; for the LORD has spoken. 9 On that day it will be said “Behold our God, to whom we looked to save us! This is the LORD for whom we looked; let us rejoice and be glad that he has saved us!” 10 For the hand of the LORD will rest on this mountain.


Psalm 23 assures us where the road of God’s love will lead us because it tells us exactly what kind of road we are heading to if we accept the love of the Good Shepherd. When I was a young child, I used to sing and imagine the scenario in the psalm reading for today. Psalm 23 has a Tagalog song version in the Philippines entitled, “Ang Panginoon ang aking Pastol” I have always loved singing it because of the very comforting words in the song. It has always given me an impression that with God on our side nothing can go wrong and if things seem to look like there is something wrong there is really nothing to fear for He will always be there to defend and protect. Let us not stray away from the Lord and always stay in the flock that He cares for. We may have heard a story of how a lion attacks its prey by separating it from the flock and once it has cornered it and all alone that's the time it devours it. It pays to always stay in the flock under the care of our Good Shepherd. We have to make sure we are not misguided or deceived by a fake shepherd and really belong to the flock of sheep that Jesus shepherds. If we are just to read and understand very well every word said in today's psalm then we ought to find ourselves the most contented and secured person in the whole wide world. There should be no more room for fear, doubt and anxiety. We've got to develop the confidence and faith of a person who have truly believed that the Lord is our shepherd. A sheep without a shepherd doesn’t know where to go and get food. They just stand there looking dumb and hungry. Today's psalm is a reminder and great consolation that we are the sheep and the Lord is our Shepherd. He is the Good Shepherd as stated in today's psalm. He makes us want for nothing more. We are so caught up with our problems and concerns in life that we become oblivious of God. We do not see the love of God in the midst of these disturbing events. In our journey here on earth we are all confronted with the bitter and harsh realities of life. Let us always remember and never forget that on top of this reality is the resounding truth and most essential one that we have a Good Shepherd. We should praise and thank God for those experiences although difficult served as an inspiration which we could hold on to at times when things do not turn out right. We can be assured that everything is in control although there is really a need to go through a so called "dark valley" of our lives in order for us to be fully aware that we have a God who looks after our welfare no matter how things turn out unexpectedly and not according to what we have in mind. We always have to believe that in the end, God is always on our side to give us the courage to carry on and find that God got us covered. There is one thing sure if we hold on to God as a sheep to the Good Shepherd, we will never be disappointed. The words of God in today's readings give us an assurance that He is always there for us. He said it and He means it then so be it. There is nothing more He could possibly mean when He said that He is the Good Shepherd other than He cares for us. He never forsakes nor abandons any single one of His flock. Sometimes we are confronted with situations that push us to the limits and thus we give way. This should never be the case at any single time. We should not entertain the option that is clearly not pleasing to the Lord even beyond the point of maximum tolerance. We may find ourselves able to resist up to a certain extent only. Thus when the tough gets really tough we would suddenly find ourselves shifting our loyalty. We only find ourselves proclaiming God in our life when situations are favorable. It's such a pity if we would ever come to this point where almost everybody in this world found themselves comfortably positioned. We can easily change positions when things get uncomfortable and easily turn our backs on what is ultimately God’s will for us. As in Rev. 3:16, So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. It is time to make a stand and know which side we really are rather than continue making excuses and justifications. We must not doubt God's ability to be the  Good Shepherd that He really is to us and trust Him rather than ourselves to carry out the plan He has for us.  Just like this old adage, "Never put the law into your hands." We should not take away God's plan from His hands into ours and act like we know better. If there's someone who could perfectly carry out this plan for our lives then that is no other than God Himself. Nothing could be more perfect than entrusting our life in God's hands. Just try to imagine ourselves right now, as is, where is with all our cares and problems in this world. Then try to paint another picture, this time with God as the Good Shepherd that tends the sheep, then picture ourselves as that sheep that the Lord tends. Be still for a moment and try to absorb and allow to sink in the words in the responsorial psalm. In God's loving embrace we are secured and satisfied that there is nothing we stand in need of. If the Lord is our shepherd who could ask for more? Goodness and love pursue us all the days of our life. For as long we're sure that the Lord Jesus is indeed the shepherd who leads us and whom we follow then there is no doubt about this. We should thank the Lord for our daily assurances, confirmation and in all circumstances. God will never allow us to go hungry and will always give us what we need and even more. God is a generous God that when we're feeling hungry or in need of something He is always there to provide, all we have to do is trust Him in His ways, as He has promised. Amen. Hallelujah!



P S A L M Psalm 23: 1-3a, 3b-4, 5, 6 (6cd)
R: I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 In verdant pastures he gives me repose. Beside restful waters he leads me; 3 he refreshes my soul. (R) He guides me in right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage. (R) 5 You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (R) 6 Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

I want to praise and thank God once again for it was through these circumstances that I've learned of the strength of God that empowers me.

Philippians 4: 12-14, 19-20
12 Brothers and sisters: I know how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live with abundance. In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need. 13 I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me.

No matter what our circumstances are in life, let us not ignore or take for granted God's open invitation to all of us. Life is like a banquet, and we have all been invited to take part in it but like any other invitations they do not last forever. We are invited into the kingdom of God. We are adopted into God’s family. When we become part of the family of God we have been made an heir to the Kingdom. In the 3rd chapter of the Apocalypse verse 20 the Lord said ““Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, [then] I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me.” We may have seen this portrait of our Lord knocking at the door but is unable to open it. Only we could open that door because the latch is in the inside. Let us not be deceived into believing that there are still other things worth more than taking part in God's banquet and be fully prepared for it. In today's gospel, the feast is ready but those who were invited refused to come. God is constantly inviting us but we always have excuses and other things to do. Daily, God sends us an invitation to come to Him. Sometimes we miss the opportunity whenever we fail to recognize the many chances He has given us. And when we do respond to God and accepts His invitation we sometimes take it for granted and do not realize the need to make ourselves presentable before God. Not so much of our external appearance as suggested in today's gospel but more of our inner selves and what we have made of our hearts. We are distracted and take for granted what clearly should take first place and priority in our lives. Time will come when the time for the invitation will cease and if ever we decide to come it is already too late. Our souls need to be properly dressed for that final and main event. In the story someone is found not wearing the wedding garment. We must put on Christ. In 1 Cor.13 4-7 it is written, “Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, [love] is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” Christ is love and all these things and we must substitute it with our names. This is the garment that we must wear in order to be adopted sons and daughters of God. We pray that the Lord will give us strength to love and hope that the Lord is our final glory. Let's not delay any longer before we find ourselves no longer welcome in God's presence. Let us be counted among the invited and chosen. We should all prepare, look forward and be ready for that day when we come face to face to God and become heirs of His kingdom. Let us not forfeit or lose our rightful place as a child of the God Most High. Amen. Hallelujah!

Matthew 22:1-14

1 Jesus again in reply spoke to them in parables, saying, 2 “The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. 3 He dispatched his servants to summon the invited guests to the feast, but they refused to come...‘The feast is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy to come. 9 Go out, therefore, into the main roads and invite to the feast whomever you find.’ 10 The servants went out into the streets and gathered all they found, bad and good alike, and the hall was filled with guests. 11 But when the king came in to meet the guests he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment. 12 He said to him, ‘My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?’ But he was reduced to silence. 13 Then the king said to his attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’ 14 Many are invited, but few are chosen.”



No comments:

Post a Comment