Wednesday, January 29, 2014

In the silence of the heart

Is there a specific bible verse or passage in the bible that is very dear to your heart and which touches you the most? I do. Most of us have and whenever we encounter it there's something very special that we can associate with it. I guess, I have shared this favorite bible passage of mine many times already, the prophecy of Habakkuk in 2:2-3 which is: Then the LORD answered me and said: Write down the vision clearly upon the tablets, so that one can read it readily. For the vision still has its time, presses on to fulfillment, and will not disappoint; If it delays, wait for it, it will surely come, it will not be late. This Word of God came to me as the 1st reading on that day of Oct 7, 2007 when I was about to make a major decision which made all the difference in my life from that day on. I am standing on the promises of God my Savior, standing on firm ground, I will not be moved. Things may still not be looking up and great at the present time but I am still firm in my faith  as on that day I held on to this prophecy as in today's 1st reading where King David professes his confidence in God's words and promise. Amen. Hallelujah!

2nd book of Samuel 7,18-19.24-29.
And now, Lord GOD, you are God and your words are truth; you have made this generous promise to your servant. Do, then, bless the house of your servant that it may be before you forever; for you, Lord GOD, have promised, and by your blessing the house of your servant shall be blessed forever."

There is no doubt that God is able to fulfill all His promises and carry out everything that He said. A confirming event that I consider very special was whenever we chance upon Fr. Mike Barry. We have been following him wherever he has a healing session nearby and to have an unexpected chance of attending mass celebrated by him is something I consider a great blessing and indeed a very pleasant surprise. It has always brought joy to all of us most especially to me. He is a priest whom I consider my personal prophet due to the many times I have personally experienced his gift of discernment and prophecy which I have shared several times already in my previous reflections. I have been getting messages of confirmation through the things he said to me about my PAST and affirmation through the things that are happening to me at the PRESENT thus giving me hope for the things that I have been praying for and are bound to come in the FUTURE. These things happen one after the other in an orderly sequence every time he prays over me despite the fact that he doesn't know a single thing about me. Although he didn't say the homily and did not conduct a healing session I was able to get another confirmation through Fr. Alex Amayin who said in his homily at that same time that, "The Word of God is like rain, it will not go back to the clouds without fulfilling first its purpose of watering and nourishing the earth and its vegetation in the same way that His words will not go back to Him without doing what it said it would do. We should also be proud of our parents. They may not be perfect but they are the arms that cradled us when we were still babies, guided us through the different stages of our lives and stood with us through thick and thin. So wherever they may be now whether still living or resting in peace let us give back to them the honor and praise they deserve. Amen. Hallelujah!
Psalm 132:1-2, 3-5, 11, 12, 13-14 R: The Lord God will give him the throne of David, his father.
1 LORD, remember, for David all his anxious care...The LORD swore an oath to David a firm promise from which he will not withdraw...

I could remember a time when I hesitated for a moment when I was about to hand over to this home health nurse a copy of a daily reflection that I wrote and got inspiration through him the way I normally do with most of the people I am around. A lot of questions popped into my mind like, Would he mind receiving a bible reflection? Is he Christian? Can I really do this? I've encountered a lot of sensitive issues here in the US when it comes to religion and the faith. I suddenly felt like chickening out. We haven't known each other long and might take it in a different way. God is good that when I am about to back out I suddenly received from this very sweet lady who dispelled all my doubts and fears a boost of confidence and courage to carry out this task. Although she did not say the exact words from today's gospel it was just like I was hearing them from the silence of her good heart. For there is nothing hidden except to be made visible; nothing is secret except to come to light. We should take every opportunity to let the people we meet see clearly the light of the lamp shining from the lampstand by spreading the Good News. We also recall how in Mt. 13:10-11 the disciples approached him and said, "Why do you speak to them in parables?" He said to them in reply, "Because knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been granted to you, but to them it has not been granted.” The seed of the Kingdom of God is planted in mystery and it grows in secret and hidden. We can not fully comprehend it for God is infinite and so is shrouded in mystery. Jesus and the Kingdom can be found at the heart of parables but with certain obscurity and in a sense with a hidden nature.  Faith is a personal adherence to God and as we grow in our faith in Him the mysteries are revealed to those who draw close to Jesus in the condition that we adhere and cling to him. If we remain outside and do not enter into His love then we remain in obscurity. It is not true that the Kingdom of God is just for a selected few, everyone is invited and no one is shut out. In order to enter the kingdom we have to accept the invitation to repentance, conversion and faith.  We have to make a radical choice to give up everything and embrace it. Words are not enough, because we are not just called for lip service. In Mark’s gospel we often see the words of Jesus not to say anything or tell anyone. This is because of the danger to misunderstand the kingdom and misinterpret it. At that time they were under the oppression of the Roman empire. They think of the Messiah as the one to free them from the Roman rule and use the knowledge of the kingdom for power and control. It is like putting Jesus in a box and keeping Him at a distance so as not to allow Him to change us. We have to follow and submit to God. The seed planted in our hearts although a mystery and can not fully be comprehended will draw us closer to him through faith and good works.  It is much different if we are to live our vocation and grow in our knowledge and understanding of the faith. We develop trust and personal adherence in a form of clinging to God. We see this in the life of people with no high theological understanding. They articulate their deep love for God and understanding in simple ways. With people who are still suffering and struggling with difficulties that are not taken away, the hidden nature of the mystery persists. Just like this particular time that was very difficult for a friend of mine whose husband passed away to see the light of hope. But we continue to believe that in a moment of darkness filled with grief and despair of losing a loved one there is still hope that light is still shining through and is bound to be known to all in His most perfect time. We have to have faith in the heart and believe that everything will unfold in His time and be able to discover the light in the midst of trying and uncertain moments. We may not grasp the meaning of all the things at the moment but everything will soon come to pass and only the light of God's truth will prevail.  The veil is lifted and finally see God for who He is through faith, obedience and generous living in the gospel. This is the only way we can experience His love in a very real way. Though, still with the cross but still following his inspiration. This means real change in our lives that only the gospel can bring about as we remain faithful to it. Amen. Hallelujah!


Mark 4:21-25

Jesus said to his disciples, “Is a lamp brought in to be placed under a bushel basket or under a bed, and not to be placed on a lamp-stand? For there is nothing hidden except to be made visible; nothing is secret except to come to light. Anyone who has ears to hear ought to hear.” He also told them, “Take care what you hear. The measure with which you measure will be measured out to you, and still more will be given to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment