Saturday, June 15, 2013

WOUNDED SOULS

We have a loving and forgiving God there is no doubt. In fact we can always hear this song being sung in the Church. We even sing it in the choir often during the Vigil mass in St. Martha. We can never deny it but we can't run away from the consequences of our sins. We've got to repair the damage we have caused and done. Not for His sake but for ours. I remember one time when I had to mend a broken jogging pants. I had been using it very often because it is very comfortable to wear until one day when somebody noticed a tiny hole in it. At first I decided not to repair it anymore and just discard it until the hole gets visibly noticeable but this person was very persistent in having it repaired she even wanted to do it herself. I finally gave in and did it myself. Now it's back in good service, I was able to use it several times already and when I asked someone to look at it she said it is hardly noticeable. I just realized that it was really a wise move that I mended it while the tear is still small and repairable because if I left it until it becomes totally torn and broken then it can never be used again and just be thrown away. Somehow this should make us realize how are small sins can get bigger and bigger when left unattended. We've got to do something right away while we still can before we become totally torn and broken. I once heard a priest said that if we have a broken arm we can bind and cast it until it gets healed but with our broken souls it is a much different story. We have to realize that our bodies are bound only here on earth but our souls have a long way to go. We've got to do everything in our power to keep it in good shape to last not only for a lifetime but for eternity. Amen. Hallelujah!

2 Samuel 12:7-10, 13
...Now, therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me and have taken the wife of Uriah to be your wife.’ 13 Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” Nathan answered David: “The LORD on his part has forgiven your sin: you shall not die.”

Jesus is fully human and fully divine. These are the 2 opposite parts that make up the arch and joined in the fulcrum or apex of the architectural structure that I learned from Mark's gospel. The first half of the gospel represents the Jesus as the Son of God and image of power and might and can be found in Chapters1-8:26, Jesus who is in charge, giving orders, an exorcist, and walks on water. Jesus is in control and source of strength, drive and power. The Son of God focused on His mission who engages into rapid phase of exorcisms and healing. He is truly the Son of God. The second half of the gospel (Ch. 11:1-15:47), represents Jesus as the Son of Man and image of weakness and suffering. No longer in charge and the one receiving orders, suffered greatly which is the prelude to the Paschal Mystery, the suffering, dying and rising of Jesus from the dead. We can often encounter in Mark's gospel, Jesus ordering them not to tell anyone about the miracles He had done. It's because they won't understand until Jesus is nailed on the cross. This is the core purpose of Jesus' becoming man to save mankind. The fulcrum or apex of the arch is found in the middle of the gospel, Jesus as Savior which is the central theme of Mark's gospel where Jesus' divinity meets His humanity in the cross as the perfect victim (sacrificial lamb/scapegoat) of man's salvation. Mark is telling us and intended for us to discover the arch in ourselves that will bring us closer to the center/apex/fulcrum of our lives who is Jesus. We are too preoccupied with our physical and material needs that we end up neglecting the most important need, that of our eternal soul. When we get sick, we try to look for cure and treatment in order to bring our bodies back in shape. We even resort to different means in order to maintain our health and keep it in perfect shape by eating the right kind of food and exercising. This kind of care that we give our bodies should also be the same and even more for our spiritual bodies, our souls. There is not much difference, when our souls are inflicted with wounds of our sins, we must try to cure ourselves by going to God and asking forgiveness right away before it gets any worse. We have to treat our souls with utmost care and diligence. Though, nothing is ever impossible for God because He can make us whole. The problem lies with us when we are deeply stuck in our sins or we could also be just comfortably wading in the seashore of sins. When these happen we either fall into the trap of false impressions that little things won't hurt but before we know it we have become entangled in those little things that we thought we could easily get away with. As scriptures say, we ought to be ready at all times we might be caught unaware and empty handed just like the Parable of the Virgins and the song which says, "Give me oil in my lamp keep me burning until the break of day." We don't want to be found with no more oil in our lamps. Or we could be too deeply stuck in the mud of our sins that we tend to choose just to be left in our misery. The small and unnoticeable wounds that we inflict on ourselves can eventually amount into a big and ugly scar so it would be easier for us not to wait until we're in a total wreck before we go to God. Leprosy is a disease that makes a person look very ugly and unwanted. I remember this time when a friend and I shared some thoughts about physical beauty when we met a priest from Italy. Just by looking at him, one could not help but think that he could really pass off as an actor in Hollywood. He is very tall and handsome. During our conversation we both came up with this thought that physical beauty could sometimes obstruct a person's holiness if the person is not careful of his/her choices. It could lure him/her to a lot of worldly options that are presented to him/her. It is a lot better to have a beautiful soul for eternity than to be physically beautiful for a limited time. We admired this priest for offering himself to God for he was not only handsome physically but surely very wise for he realized the importance of making it big in the kingdom of God and chose it over the glitter and glamour that this temporary world can offer. We should not ignore or overlook this truth about our God who is loving, merciful and forgiving. Let us not delay any longer and go back to Him with a contrite and repentant heart. No matter how big our sins are, we are blessed to have a God bigger than any of our sins. No matter how big a mess our first parents got into, no sin is bigger than God's mercy. Let us just do as the psalm tells us today. Let us not lose confidence in a God who forgives all our sins. Amen. Hallelujah!


Psalm 32:1-2, 5, 7, 11
R: Lord, forgive the wrong I have done.
1 Blessed is the one whose fault is taken away, whose sin is covered. 2 Blessed the man to whom the LORD imputes not guilt, in whose spirit there is no guile. (R) 5 I acknowledged my sin to you, my guilt I covered not. I said, “I confess my faults to the LORD,” and you took away the guilt of my sin. (R) 7 You are my shelter; from distress you will preserve me; with glad cries of freedom you will ring me round. (R) 11 Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you just; exult, all you upright of heart.

Aren’t we supposed to live life in abundance. (Matthew 16:24-25) Jesus said, “If anyone wishes to come after me he must deny himself and follow me.” The one who saves himself will lose it. We have several selves we have to lose our sinful selves. As St. Paul in today’s 2nd reading said, “It is no longer I who lives.” There should be no coexistence and must allow Jesus to take over. Only in doing so could we leave the world a better place than we found it. We have been given everything by God to fulfill all things needed for our salvation. It is just a matter of proclaiming, declaring and living it in our lives. Amen. Hallelujah!

Galatians 2:16, 19-21
16 Brothers and sisters: We who know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ,...I have been crucified with Christ; 20 yet I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me; insofar as I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who has loved me and given himself up for me...




I have always loved to hear and read about this bible passage in today's gospel. It has taken on a deeper and personal meaning in my life since I have very thick hair and have always worn it long. At this present time it has become even thicker and the longest it had become. This adds up to the significance of this bible passage in my life even more. I just can't help it that every time I encounter this bible passage I always end up thinking of wiping Jesus' feet with my own hair. I fervently hope and pray that as Jesus recognized the great love that this woman had shown and forgave her sins may I too be worthy and likewise be acknowledged personally by Jesus Himself in my efforts and genuine display of affection to Him. Our sins no matter how big and many they are should never stop us from turning away from them and turning to God. We should realize with all our minds, strengths and souls that if we are able to do what this sinful woman did in the gospel today then we are indeed forgiven regardless of who we are and what we did. There is no denying that she has truly repented in thoughts and in deeds. According to the Jewish tradition anyone who would unroll her hair in public is exposing herself to a great scandal and humiliation. Even in this present time of ours, anyone who would kneel down at the feet of a person, cry and bath the feet with tears, wipe it with the hair and anoint it with oil is already something out of the ordinary and is definitely an intense demonstration of affection. No woman whether during the past, present and future time could have done such an act if not for her tremendous love. We all have sinned and defied our Savior and Redeemer and we are all called not just to respond but to give our all. We reserve nothing and give our all for the Lord. Sometimes we cringe at the thought of being embarrassed and humiliated. This is just natural because some people could really be discreetly rude and mean that there is no getting away with it. This is why we have second thoughts and hesitate before we engage ourselves into doing something especially if it would unavoidably attract attention. This is a wise move actually because we have to really watch our actions so as not to cause any scandal or chaos of some sort. We all differ in how we do things. In the way of showing our affection, we all have our own ways and means in making it known to the one we love and care for. Not everybody shares the same opinion and stance on a single matter. Some may find it very good but others may just dismiss such act as nothing or worse could think of it as just a fake, a show or a lack of taste and finesse. Whatever it may be, it is our call and we have to make sure that it would be worth it. During the time of Jesus, what this sinful woman in the gospel did is considered scandalous. None of these discouraging and degrading remarks that were hurled at her by the scribes, Pharisees and the people around her stopped her from doing what she did. In the same way that nothing should be in the way when we approach Jesus. We are assured that Jesus does not judge by human standards and can surely see through the depths of our hearts. When we take risks or cross some lines it is always a consolation to know that it would all be worth it if we do it knowing that Jesus is our reason. Amen. Hallelujah!


Luke 7:36-50
...Jesus said to him in reply, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” “Tell me, teacher,” he said. 41 “Two people were in debt to a certain creditor; one owed five hundred days’ wages and the other owed fifty. 42 Since they were unable to repay the debt, he forgave it for both. Which of them will love him more?” 43 Simon said in reply, “The one, I suppose, whose larger debt was forgiven.” He said to him, “You have judged rightly.” 44 Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? When I entered your house, you did not give me water for my feet, but she has bathed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but she has not ceased kissing my feet since the time I entered. 46 You did not anoint my head with oil, but she anointed my feet with ointment. 47 So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; hence, she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little.” 48 He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”...



No comments:

Post a Comment