Sunday, January 22, 2012

OBEY AND FOLLOW

Everybody knows the story of Jonah and the big whale that swallowed him up. Sometimes we all end up like Jonah when we refuse to follow and obey what God is telling us to do. We tend to underestimate and doubt the power of God in our life. When we waver and falter in our faith in God and refuse to act according to the Lord's bidding then we end up trusting more, our own personal strength and understanding rather than God's. No matter how difficult the things may seem to be it is always for the best that we seek God's will and approval in everything that we do. Just like Jonah, all we have to do first is obey even without first seeing results and everything else will follow. Amen. Hallelujah!

 Jonah 3:1-5. 10 1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time: 2 “Set out for the great city of Nineveh, and announce to it the message that I will tell you.” 3 So Jonah made ready and went to Nineveh, according to the LORD’s bidding.

 If we give to God all our concerns and anxieties and trust in His goodness and mercy then He will always direct our steps in the way that He wanted us to go. Have we ever wondered and asked how things in our life came to be? As we try to look back and recall may we always find ourselves confidently claiming all our life's events as according to what God has planned for us and if not then it is about time that we call on to God with these words in the psalm reading. Amen. Hallelujah! 

 Psalm 25:4-5. 6-7. 8-9 (4a) R: Teach me your ways, O Lord. ...guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my savior. (R) 6 Remember that your compassion, O LORD, and your love are from of old. 7 In your kindness remember me, because of your goodness, O LORD... 

 If we think that we can always procrastinate just like Jonah who was still given a second time then wait and think very seriously about what the 2nd reading is telling us. The urgency of our life's purpose and mission should always take first place. Amen. Hallelujah! 

 1 Corinthians 7:29-31 29 I tell you, brothers, the time is running out... 

 Today's gospel is the scene at the Sea of Galilee, the call of the 1st disciples. This call is not just for them but for us too. We are also invited by Jesus with these same words, "Come after me..." It is being proclaimed to each one of us today. We may not respond in the same way that Peter and the others did. There are those who would leave their former way of life radically and some who remained in their workplace just like Zebedee. Whether we leave or just stay where we are we need to sanctify our work and seek to glorify God with our lives. Our lives should become rich and meaningful even the simplest thing is an encounter with God. The stories of the disciples especially of Peter that took place in the Sea of Galilee has taken a special meaning in my life in 2007. The sea of Galilee is where Jesus' call to the first disciples took place. It is good to recall and look back where our own Galilees are. I can still remember very well my own Sea of Galilee experience and should always keep in mind and never forget. It has become so personal for me. Peter played an important role in my decision to come here in the US. I could still recall the bible story in Luke 5 entitled, "The call of Simon (later on named Peter) the Fisherman." It was way back in Feb. 4, 2007, during those times when I was discerning and weighing my decision to come here to the US. This gospel reading from Luke specifically caught my attention, confirmed and gave me confidence in what I was planning to do and eventually did. It was specifically the bible passages at the Sea of Galilee in Luke 5:4-6 "Jesus said to Peter, "Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch." Simon said in reply, "Master we have worked hard all night and caught nothing but at your command I will lower the nets." When they had done this they caught a great number of fish their nets were tearing." Just like Peter who was skeptical at that time I was also feeling so unsure about my decisions then and this phrase really had a great impact on me back then coupled with the priest's homily that went with it. That was 4 years ago now. I feel like God is reminding me again of that scene at the Sea of Galilee (also known as the Sea of Gennesaret) when I, just like Peter decided to respond to God's call in my own personal way. This message has been very persistent and I have always written about. It is also very timely that last night I was also sharing in the prayer meeting about this experience. It is funny how this morning too I was talking to Jude and mentioned to him things in the past about his childhood that he should never forget and always remember. Everything is just connected and confirms each and every event and circumstance. We can never question the impeccable and perfect timing of God in everything. We must also realize that Jesus in today's gospel could have succumbed to disappointment and discouragement after finding out of John's arrest but He did not. He went about and did what God the Father has called and sent Him to do. In the same way that Jesus is inviting us to come after Him and follow. All we have to do is trust Him to make all things happen for us with our best interests always in mind. It is our commitment to God that encompasses all others, more than any we've made. It is the sum and total of all vows. Needless to say, that all to Jesus we must surrender. Amen. Hallelujah! 


 Mark 1:14-20 14 After John had been arrested, Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the Gospel of God: 15 “This is the time of fulfillment. The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” 16 As he passed by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea; they were fishermen. 17 Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 18 Then they abandoned their nets and followed him. 19 He walked along a little farther and saw James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They too were in a boat mending their nets. 20 Then he called them. So they left their father Zebedee in the boat along with the hired men and followed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment